Author Topic: Landing with no vstab  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
Re: Landing with no vstab
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 02:34:32 AM »
the 109e is the only plane I have found in AH that can fly without a Vstab. Bug or design, not sure.

Yeah I've managed to fly it very far without a vstab just last night...I was very surprised.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 02:37:22 AM »
I have landed a few F4U's without the Vstab...I have no film, but I think it is an "accomplishment" thingy you may be able to look it up in my stats. to see that I actually did accomplish the task.

Without the Vstab you have to use throttle and elevators and you prolly might try flying 90 degrees from level...in other words, your elevators become your Vstab, and your throttle becomes your elevators, and you may have to switch from one mode of flying to the other. It is not easy to accomplish but it can be done and it takes concentration and patience!

"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 02:38:50 AM »
the 109e is the only plane I have found in AH that can fly without a Vstab. Bug or design, not sure.
Mosquito can fly and land without the vertical stab quite easily. Did it many times. I suppose all the twins can, but I never had to in a different one. The 38 has two tails - the chances of losing both with the rest of the plane not disintegrating is small.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 05:24:29 PM »
Anything with dihedral would have some yaw compensation.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2014, 12:43:53 AM »
Mosquito can fly and land without the vertical stab quite easily. Did it many times. I suppose all the twins can, but I never had to in a different one. The 38 has two tails - the chances of losing both with the rest of the plane not disintegrating is small.

Ah, I never had that luck in her. Did you use dual throttle for this or just careful control?
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2014, 09:52:15 AM »

Ah, I never had that luck in her. Did you use dual throttle for this or just careful control?
If you are careful and use gentle control inputs she can fly without differential throttles. The latter can get you out of trouble if you roll the plane too much and induce a strong side slip. I used 2/3 throttle and had #2 engine selected (I have only 1 physical throttle) so I can throttle it up/down to center the ball more or less, but as I said it was not really needed. Happened at least 2 times that I can remember.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2014, 10:13:56 PM »
very interesting, thank you for the tip
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 01:26:59 PM »
I have several films of landing a mossie without vertical stab or rudder. If you want to see them will find and post.

You get achievement for landing without both elevators (also done in a mossie).

Ringo
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 01:30:41 PM by Drane »
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'