Author Topic: Moniter trouble  (Read 736 times)

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
Moniter trouble
« on: August 29, 2014, 10:15:30 AM »
Last night I tried hooking up my new moniter for 2 displays.   Since I was using my analog port on my gtx660 I hooked up my second moniter with HDMI.
 When I powered it on it said no connection.  Funny thing is the computer recognizes it.  Both in windows mode and in NIVIDIA contol panel.  But it continues to stay dark.   What am I doing wrong ??? Is there something else I should try.

I have restarted unplugged and replugged it back up with same results.

Any help much appreciated
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Moniter trouble
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 12:30:54 PM »
Check your settings in nVidia control panel and/or Windows. There should be check boxes for how you'd like to see your desktop on the two monitors, cloned or expanded (the latter). You should also be able to choose which one is your primary monitor and on which side the secondary should be, meaning how your cursor would move over one monitor to the other.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 12:41:02 PM »
Check your settings in nVidia control panel and/or Windows. There should be check boxes for how you'd like to see your desktop on the two monitors, cloned or expanded (the latter). You should also be able to choose which one is your primary monitor and on which side the secondary should be, meaning how your cursor would move over one monitor to the other.

I chose extended and also the cursor will disappear but screen remains black
LtCondor
          The Damned

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 12:53:48 PM »
Check the cables for a bent pin, both ends.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 01:56:52 PM »
I have. Looks fine
LtCondor
          The Damned

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 03:45:49 PM »
drivers? Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

Wait! Not totally: Try with only the black image monitor connected to see if it should work at all. Another thing: At the evening school we just installed new nVidia equipped double monitor systems and the one I'm using stopped showing the wallpaper image. It's black but I can move the cursor into it and drag windows from the main desktop to it, so it's fully functional.OTOH it still shows the Taskbar.

Kotisivuni

Offline mikeWe9a

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 05:09:33 PM »
Your monitor displays the message that it has no input?  Is the monitor in question the one hooked up to HDMI or Analog?

In either case, try accessing the on screen display for the monitor, and checking to make sure that it is set to look for a signal on the correct connector.  Additionally, if you are on the analog connector, check your display driver settings to make sure you have a resolution and refresh rate set that the monitor can display.

Mike

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 05:25:43 PM »
Your monitor displays the message that it has no input?  Is the monitor in question the one hooked up to HDMI or Analog?

In either case, try accessing the on screen display for the monitor, and checking to make sure that it is set to look for a signal on the correct connector.  Additionally, if you are on the analog connector, check your display driver settings to make sure you have a resolution and refresh rate set that the monitor can display.

Mike

How do you check to make sure that it is spose to pick up hdmi
LtCondor
          The Damned

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 06:28:36 PM »
Did your new monitor come with a manual?  There should be a button to access settings.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 01:57:29 PM »
Hmmm... Does the "dead" monitor have a "source" or "input" button to choose from multiple input choices like hdmi, dvi or vga? I just got a (second hand) monitor with a built-in computer, xp preinstalled. At first I couldn't find the windows until I chose the correct input.

Kotisivuni

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 10:49:58 PM »
Hmmm... Does the "dead" monitor have a "source" or "input" button to choose from multiple input choices like hdmi, dvi or vga? I just got a (second hand) monitor with a built-in computer, xp preinstalled. At first I couldn't find the windows until I chose the correct input.

I ended up hooking my second monitor up to a vga cable that goes to the cpu graphics instead of coming out of the graphic card
LtCondor
          The Damned

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 10:20:06 AM »
I ended up hooking my second monitor up to a vga cable that goes to the cpu graphics instead of coming out of the graphic card

Maybe thats your problem, the on-board graphics should be disabled when you have a graphics card installed.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 10:52:04 AM »
Maybe thats your problem, the on-board graphics should be disabled when you have a graphics card installed.
:lol it took your answer until I understood what wpeters said he had done.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 10:52:40 AM »

Not in all cases, Intel has 'hybrid' mode where you can use both.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 11:30:54 AM »
your problem is you are trying to use 2 hdmi cables.  or you are mixing hdmi with non hdmi.  for some reason I could never connect 3 monitors using 3 hdmi cables from 2 sli video cards.  I could ony connect 1 using hdmi.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.