Author Topic: A perspective on Aces High then and now.  (Read 3216 times)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Re: A perspective on Aces High then and now.
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2015, 05:05:40 PM »
First post on multi arena play in 2001.  AH was growing and growing fast.  Players were asked for suggestions.

Pyro responds later in the post.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,4233.msg55180/topicseen.html#msg55180

- The Flying Circus -

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2015, 05:40:50 PM »
Cliffs of O.P?

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2015, 07:27:47 PM »
It seems to me that back in the early days, people had more respect for one another, so you built a comradery with your adversary. Now when you shoot someone down , instead of a <S> you  get a PM of how weak  a shot it was, or that you have a magic airplane.  It's just one of the aspects of the early days that I miss.

Offline Sundiver

• Copper Member
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2015, 02:14:09 PM »
Howdy Hajo, I was just thinking about returning. Is the Circus still in town? Haven't been around in years. I think I still have a screenshot of us sitting on a carrier in that shot all to hell Lanc.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2015, 02:23:38 PM »
Howdy Hajo, I was just thinking about returning. Is the Circus still in town? Haven't been around in years. I think I still have a screenshot of us sitting on a carrier in that shot all to hell Lanc.

Hey!   Yes.............the circus is still in town. :airplane:
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Molsman

• Aces High CM Retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2015, 02:28:24 PM »
This post is a point of view from an older player, how the game was, and how it is now.  There will be no flaming please.  Everyone plays the game the way it creates more fun for them. Gameplay by individuals or groups of individuals should not be criticized.  This is just a remembrance of what the game was then and what it is now from my perspective.
This hopefully will explain what the community was and what it has evolved into.  Hitech must make changes to please as many possible so that the popularity of the game increases, therefore adding subscribers.  This is a must for Hitech Creations to survive.  For any business to survive for that matter.   This is probably a reflection more so on the communities then and now.  None being better then the other.

Hangtime, Moss, Lephturn, Apar, Saw, Ram, Regurge, hblair , Wilbuz (my good friend) Whels, Westy, LT, Lugs and the names go on.  A lot of players in our squadron were from that time (The Flying Circus).  Those names listed are a small part of the community that we had virtual combat with on a daily basis.  At that time when you lost a fight it was popular for the one who beat you to critique what you did wrong, where mistakes were made, and what you can do better to win!  I appreciated that!  When I was new or anyone at that time was new the critiques were welcomed.

We had our arses handed to us so much that our wives had to take in the seats of our pants.  Why would they/we do that?  To make the competition better and thus make the fights longer and more immersive.  SA wasn't a passing thought and neither was ACM.  Now did we have a few in game that could be idiots?  Yup.  Very few.  Now if you lose a fight, do something another player does not like, channel 200 explodes into various tirades and name calling.  Insults abound!  Accusations made, and childish ones at that.  No help offered to make a player better, and the chastisement disappoints new players and in many cases causes them to say "screw this" and leaves never to comeback.  That my friends is our fault, the Communities fault.  We scare some players away.  "Ya wanna go to the DA?"  Chest pounding!  How bout "Let's go to the DA and see if we can improve your virtual piloting skills."
There was no bragging when coming back to the MA and chest pounding.  Someone just made a friend and got better at the game to boot.

Example on gameplay then and now.  in early AH at one time you could capture a field with two P38s and a goon.  Easy!  Why?  Not many did it, no need to make the cities as they are today. Let me say again this is not to criticize taking airfields if that is what you like to do!  This is just pointing out the differences between the game and community at that time.  None being better or none being worse.

I could go on and be more boring then I already have been. :rofl  Life changes, players have to leave because the economy (30 dollars back then which we gladly paid), raising a family and aging like me  :furious.

My concern is will games like steal the sheep subtract from the population that plays air to air combat for entertainment?  I understand the populations age in this community is probably getting younger, not many old fartz like me still around.  HTC must do what is best for his business and the game must evolve into what will attract more subscribers.
This is business and not personal.  I'm anxiously awaiting the new version!  Many of us old timers have left for various reasons.  Life, economy, the change in gameplay within the community etc.  I'm hoping my love of air to air combat will stay with me for many more years.  My love of the aircraft and the pilots histories, and the combat history of WWII
will never leave me.

Off soapbox.......longwinded.  If anyone wishes to add something constructive please do so.  It can't hurt!  Remember, this is my point of view only.

Very well Said Hajo ,now I am making you feel old with this and I am almost Old but I recal playing with all those guys to and meeting some of ya all at then end of the AW Days yes the times have changed but I still find this game a good way to let some steam go after crappy work shifts or my kids driving me crazy......Now where is my photo  ya been promising me for over a year lol I have not moved
Molsman, Crazy8s , Crazyman
JG11, DerWanderZirkus, -The Flying Clowns-
               Wait n Bleed

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2015, 04:32:33 PM »

Very well Said Hajo ,now I am making you feel old with this and I am almost Old but I recal playing with all those guys to and meeting some of ya all at then end of the AW Days yes the times have changed but I still find this game a good way to let some steam go after crappy work shifts or my kids driving me crazy......Now where is my photo  ya been promising me for over a year lol I have not moved

On the way Mols.  Think you'll like this one better.  Sent by snail mail.
- The Flying Circus -