Author Topic: Hard Won Tank Lessons  (Read 3122 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: Hard Won Tank Lessons
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 01:27:19 PM »
Set your range to 800 for traveling, you will still hit an upclose
 tank, probably in the turret and you'll never hit anything at zero, tanks appear bigger than they are in the scope!

That is better advice than mine.  I am going to use 800 from now on but I must say I have busted several on zero.  Of course that might be because I am a lousy shot to start with and they were lucky shoots..

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 02:18:19 PM »
Exactly how do you set your range?

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 04:05:30 PM »
in the U.S. Tanks, you don't, it's not an adjustable setting
 In the German tanks the range wheel is around the top of the sight picture, the number at the marker is the range,, you change it with your keyboard,, ( not sure what keys as I have it mapped to my stick)
For the Russian tanks the range finder moves up and down,,
Flying since tour 71.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2015, 05:59:39 PM »
I mapped mine to the throttle wheel on my CH stick as I have a CH throttle so don't use it. Normally I range it off a friendly. I spot a tank out at the spawn, then I look for a friendly that the tank looks about the same size.... due to range, and set my range to what ever the friendly is. Then Im ranged for the general range. If the target seems a bit smaller, raise it up a bit, bigger, drop it down a bit.

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2015, 11:32:44 PM »

you change it with your keyboard ( not sure what keys as I have it mapped to my stick)

I believe the default setting is the C and V keys change the gun-sight ranges on tanks that have adjustable sights (and also for the 88mm flak gun).

<S>
Ryno
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2015, 01:11:25 AM »
Thanks guys. WWhiskey I will try to look you up when I'm on.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline ARSNishi

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2015, 03:16:42 AM »
Know your enemies strengths and weaknesses.   Learn these via the armor thickness diagrams found in the hangar vehicle list by right clicking them.   I took screenshots of every vehicle frequently encountered.  Figure out the most common tanks weak spots and how much gun you need to regularly pop em open hitting those spots.   

You'll learn that 99% of the time it's suicidal to take some tanks up against Tiger 1's and 2's and Jagdpanthers and to a lesser extent Panthers....   Which brings me to another point....  Quickly IDing enemy tanks in profile and nose on views......  Pretty crucial info.    With time and effort you'll learn why the vets even pay attention to the angle at which they face the enemy.

The best analogy I can give for what it sounds like you are doing is:  imagine a green infantryman noisily charging headlong into a field of veteran snipers silently lying in wait behind their carefully chosen cover and concealment....  Just waiting to pick him apart.     Doesn't sound like the best odds right?   

It is a steep learning curve but attainable and worth it.    In my opinion. ;)

Salute  :salute Nishizwa

Fighter Ace vet lured to the dark side, a.k.a..  -AoM-  Fear the Mighty Mitsubishi Mounted Muppet!

Nishizwa in game, Nish or Nishi will work too

Offline NikonGuy

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2015, 10:47:21 AM »
GV'ing is nothing like air combat. 

The art of GV'ing is the ambush.  Get into a position and shut your engine down, if your enemy is coming out to you, then you know exactly where he is and where he is going based on his sound.  If you need to move while he's moving, its risky but possible.  Once he passes you, shoot him in the back. He will never know where you were.  Before he gets in range again, move, shut down and wait again. 

I had a player yesterday die in an M8 and he says, "your gonna die" .. but he didn't come back out because he knew I could track him but he had no idea where I was.  Once that engine goes on though .. its all over.

What they usually do though is come back in a heavy fighter to bombard you .. lol.

NG <S>
You break 'em, I fix 'em.
RAAF Retired Aircraft Maintenance Technician, General Dynamics F111, Lockheed P3C, Douglas A20G & DB7

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2015, 09:49:06 AM »
Muzzy, I am just learning tanks and have had some lessons with some of the best. What you have to understand is most of these guys do nothing but tank. They KNOW there spots as well as a dog who has peed on it and knows his own scent. They know when there site is set at "X" distance that a tank filling 2.73 of the first triangle is 2737 feet away and know that with the angle of their tank that if they aim just a bit high right it will blow the gun off the top.

These guys KNOW it because they have done hundreds of thousands of runs in these tanks. How many runs have you done? Have you even done your first thousand yet? Never mind, I checked.... almost  :D It will take time. As it is, now I only have a chance when we are on Greebos map and there are LOTS of guys to cover me.

Don't give up yet, it will come eventually. Learn to jump from commanders spot to gunners quick.... or learn to shoot from the commanders spot. Hang back from the "front" the GV are attacking from and watch what they are doing. You won't get a ton of kills but you'll learn to find the targets and where to park, and how to park.
Bolded part: Agreed.  DR7 is one of the most deadly tankers in the game.  Check his stats and you will see he dies a lot too... 

To be a good tanker, you have to die a lot....
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2015, 04:25:32 PM »
Muzzy,
 Listen to WWhiskey! He taught me a great deal about tanking. He is one of the best !

Anyone who feels like practicing, Please remember we are getting tank wars back on thursday nights in AvA. It is great practice and great fun .  the reason? no bombers or planes except the storch. No spawn camping and just good fights. We also train some at times . So , If any one is interested in training , we can certainly accommodate.

Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.