Author Topic: No way can a real WWII fighter do that. Actually . . .  (Read 901 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
No way can a real WWII fighter do that. Actually . . .
« on: September 04, 2015, 12:34:01 AM »
We all do some things in Aces High that we figure a real airplane or real pilot wouldn't be able to do.  Yet, from time to time, I am amazed to find a real-life account of a plane or pilot doing exactly one of those things.

A couple of examples for me.

Flying back to base on half a wing.  No way would real WWII planes be able to do that.  Then I saw this picture of a TBM flying back after a mission:

Doing a screwy, cross-controlled Latrobe move.  No way any real WWII plane would do anything like that.  Then I heard this interview (Richard Candelaria):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuBiMM7VGh8
And at  9:34 in this one (Don Brian):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TolhfyNrCkM

And the latest that I read just an hour ago . . .
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 12:43:37 AM by Brooke »

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: No way can a real WWII fighter do that. Actually . . .
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 12:39:30 AM »
Sometimes, when I take a radiator hit and want to get back to base, I will fly until the engine temp is near the red, then cut the engine, glide until near the ground, restart the engine, do a full-throttle climb until the temp is near the red, cut the engine and glide, and so on.  This way, I can get a long distance.  I always figured it probably wouldn't work in a real aircraft.  However . . .

From "The Last of the Few:  The Battle of Britain in the Words of the Pilots Who Won It", by  Arthur.

Chapter 5, Hans-Ekkehard Bob, 109 pilot ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans-Ekkehard_Bob )

While I was flying my 109 slowly alongside the bombers over Canterbury, I recieved a hit on my cooling unit.  The engine's cooling system didn't work anymore, and it overheated.  The engine was about to start burning, and I was forced to switch it off.  In the event of situations such as this, we had been ordered to switch off the engine and to switch the propeller to the gliding position.  At an altitude of 4000 meters, you might be able to glide about 40 kilometers, but over Canterbury that would have taken me either to the English coast or into the water.  So, I thought, "I won't do that.  I'll try something different."  It occured to me to leave the engine idling until it had cooled down again and then, once it had cooled down a bit, I would switch on the ignition and accelerate at full speed, ascending as high as possible.  Then when the engine overheated again, I would switch if off again, and carry on doing this.  Using this method got me 80 kilometers -- as far as the French coast.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 01:07:16 AM »
Gosh... what happened to the AH P-51? lol
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 04:30:07 PM »
If you look carefully, the tail section is also bent forward of the vertical stab.  That's Bob King's Avenger.  Another TBM got hit while they were over Chi Chi Jima, and dropped on top of his TBM.  His crewmen Jimmy Dye and Grady York bailed out over Chi Chi Jima, while King was able to wrestle the TBM back to the USS Bennington.  Unfortunately, Dye and York were later executed and became victims of cannibalism.   
Y67 (6/2/13 - 9/17/13)            8thJinx (9/17/13 -   )

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 08:04:39 PM »
I have yet to see in ww2 a crashed airplane respwn with a new pilot.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 08:17:01 PM »
If you look carefully, the tail section is also bent forward of the vertical stab.  That's Bob King's Avenger.  Another TBM got hit while they were over Chi Chi Jima, and dropped on top of his TBM.  His crewmen Jimmy Dye and Grady York bailed out over Chi Chi Jima, while King was able to wrestle the TBM back to the USS Bennington.  Unfortunately, Dye and York were later executed and became victims of cannibalism.

Well, that escalated quickly. 

Scary stuff!
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline NikonGuy

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 10:28:47 AM »
I had a turned over M18 shoot my panther under the hedge he was next too.  I reviewed the film and although I couldn't see him due to the hedge, from his perspective there was a massive gap at the bottom of that hedge, one which he used to kill me with one shot.  Pretty funny watching his turret spin around upside down in the film viewer :P
You break 'em, I fix 'em.
RAAF Retired Aircraft Maintenance Technician, General Dynamics F111, Lockheed P3C, Douglas A20G & DB7