Author Topic: Min System Specs?  (Read 597 times)

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Min System Specs?
« on: September 22, 2015, 01:03:59 PM »
Have the Minimum system requirements been established yet?

On my current system I have problems launching the game and when I can get it to launch I get very low Frame rates in the tower using lowest setting values. In flight I get around 25-50 FPS but I can dip lower than 25 with heavy action and effects.

Often when I start the game I get Flashing effect from a white screen to the launch screen. I believe this may be due to Max texture size (was at 512 tried at 256 and 128 and I get better more stable results) Multi monitor set up may also be a contributing factor as it happens more frequently when there is an ap or program open in the other Monitor from the one that displays the game.

Some of the text displayed in the game like the frame rate counter is blocky and hard to impossible to read, this seems to be cuased by having Max Texture Size set to anything below 512.

At 512 My Frame rates drop down to about 20-35 FPS.

My current system specs
Windows Xp 32bit
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz
3GB DDR2 Dual Channel
Nvidia 8800GT
Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Platinum

I should have my new system up and running in a week or two and I can post results on it as well. I do not have my old CPID online I think I'm using Mayhem33.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 01:12:31 PM by Mayhem »
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Min System Specs?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 01:17:09 PM »
AFAIK nothing has been carved in stone yet. I have understood that AH3 will be more GPU dependent than AH2. Some speculations have been made, too.

If you can play AH2 with your current rig and don't use it for anything more demanding, use it until AH3 gets released and only after that get the best computer your budget allows. I mean, they're still in Alpha which will be followed by Beta. No one knows the date for the official launch of AH3. If you get a new rig now just for running Alpha, it will already be outdated by the final release.

BTW your current rig is only slightly weaker than what HiTech uses as his development system. Overclocking the CPU might give you some oomph, my E8500 runs at 4 GHz instead of the original 3.16.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 01:35:04 PM »
I think the biggest problem with my current system is the Video Card Memory It only has 512mb gddr3 and has a hard time handling texture sizes over 512. 512 reduces my frame rates but I can at least read what my frame rate is, at 128 I can't read the frame rate counter.

My new Video card has 8Gb GDDR5. I posted my new system specs in hardware but basically its a Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3, 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory CL7, and Radeon R9 390. I'm building this system for school with gaming as an after thought.

I will be passing the old system down to my 8 year old to replace his aging pentium 4 system (it's older than him)

Basically I'm just back to help Alpha and Beta AH, I figure it's a way to pay back HT for all years he has put into providing us with this game and alot of fun ... and I get extra credit in one of my ComSci classes to 8)

As a Tech and a ComSci Student I have access to just about every Windows OS and OS flavor except Vista.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 01:37:06 PM by Mayhem »

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 02:11:54 PM »
Have the Minimum system requirements been established yet?

My current system specs
Windows Xp 32bit
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz
3GB DDR2 Dual Channel   :headscratch:
Nvidia 8800GT
Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Platinum

Yes, it would be good to see if that rig would cut it with a few tweaks.  My E8400 is running at 3.6 GHz without a glitch.  Tom's Hardware had a walkthrough.  It was a simple bios change done during boot.  Wondering why the odd number RAM, is that all 32 bit OS can read?  (I used to mix RAM before it came down in price.)  Reports so far, have asked for 64 bit OS, in order to handle the video processing (that is above my pay grade to try and explain  :uhoh ).

Bottom line is supposed to be 1 GB of dedicated video RAM (DDR5 preferred), below that we do seem to see complaints of fails.  Framerates, are also dependent upon a lot of options with the sliders, and filters in game.  But as we just stated, it would be rare to have a great experience with 512 MB video RAM.

I hope this helps.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 02:51:52 PM »
Always wondered while I was supporting 8-way SQL servers at BofA how a server would work as an AH game PC. Guess Xeon processors have come a long way from processing BofA ATM transactions nation wide.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 03:00:09 PM »
<snip>

BTW your current rig is only slightly weaker than what HiTech uses as his development system. Overclocking the CPU might give you some oomph, my E8500 runs at 4 GHz instead of the original 3.16.

Not just slightly.  HiTech has an NVidia GTX 660 with 2GB of video RAM and is running Windows 7 64 bit.  Huge difference between 32 bit Windows XP and an NVidia 8800GT.

Just for reference, our base video card is the NVidia 9800GTX which is a bit faster than the 8800GT.

The 8800GT would have to have all the graphic goodies disabled and lower the texture size as well, and it might be playable then, but Windows XP 32 bit could be a problem with resources.

Just saying.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 03:14:28 PM »
Always wondered while I was supporting 8-way SQL servers at BofA how a server would work as an AH game PC. Guess Xeon processors have come a long way from processing BofA ATM transactions nation wide.

For all intents and purposes the Xeon E3 1231 V3 is a Core I7 4790 minus the APU downclocked to 4770 speed, with ECC support, and all for about about 2/3 the cost .

Not just slightly.  HiTech has an NVidia GTX 660 with 2GB of video RAM and is running Windows 7 64 bit.  Huge difference between 32 bit Windows XP and an NVidia 8800GT.

Just for reference, our base video card is the NVidia 9800GTX which is a bit faster than the 8800GT.

The 8800GT would have to have all the graphic goodies disabled and lower the texture size as well, and it might be playable then, but Windows XP 32 bit could be a problem with resources.

Just saying.

I think the biggest problem with the 8800gt is the memory. It only has a half gig. While it's fast enough to push most games even modern ones with details turned down it makes High Def (1080p) stutter. It will push Alpha at the lowest settings but not without problems. Anything below 512 textures makes some text like the frame rate counter unreadable. However performance starts to drop off at 512 and higher (admittedly I haven't actually tried anything higher than 512 yet). Multi monitor set up may be an issue to, even when present but not used for gaming.

Alpha As is it's playable at 1920x1200 with all the graphic settings turned down to min and 512 textures. 256 textures give it a boost but again text starts to become unreadable at 128 it is completely unreadable.

This system is going to goto my son but I plan on keeping AHII and AH Alpha on it for testing, let me know if you need information (logs settings etc) from me.

I also have a laptop with a Core I3 3120m integrated hd4000 graphics 6gb system mem and windows 10 home 64bit. But I don't expect it to preform much better if at all - It tends to get lower frame rates than my desktop does.

For some reason the tower always seems to get the worse frame rates.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 03:25:04 PM by Mayhem »

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 04:52:43 AM »

Just saying.
I stand corrected, I was merely looking at the CPU and remembered something about the 9800GTX.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni