Author Topic: Denied  (Read 834 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Denied
« on: September 15, 2015, 03:56:21 PM »
Couple of nights ago I was supplying a vbase from a c47. Though the base was flashing from a small radar bar. I didn't think the plane was close or that is was a high set of bombers.. Then again there several bases in the area and the con may have been attacking one of them.

So as I close in on the base I see Tutu's diving and I think anther set of Tutu's or lancs. Also came an f4u1c. The diving Tutu's turned sharply and headed my way. I had to get rid of the supplies. I pull up steeply and drop the supplies. The Tutu's pull up too and just when it looked like he lost steam one of the friendly Werbs atomized him. I dive out as the C-hog drops another egg.

Realizing no way can I get away I dive and turn to the C-hog. He turns eagerly towards my goon. We're nose on! I pull up hoping to avoid those cannons. I fail! My tail is gone. Pondering my soon to be demise I cut the throttle instinctively. Then thought, go the other way. I open the throttle wide hoping for some kind of lift. Then as earth approaches I lowered my gear. The goon hits hard, the wheels collapse, the wings break off and and I'm alive!! I am so stunned I didn't think to tower for a moment. But then I hear the C-hog approaching. I quickly exit. I get a ditch.

Then I laugh so hard just for the fact, How the heck did I survive!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
Re: Denied
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 04:08:24 PM »
Because here at Douglas Aircraft we only hire the best engineers in the world.

sent via Tapatimewarp from my victrolla
Pies not kicks.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 06:28:45 PM »
If only you could hear his rants of how he lost his kill  :rofl
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 07:00:44 PM »
If only you could hear his rants of how he lost his kill  :rofl

I can well imagine. I've been there too.

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 07:15:12 PM »
WTG

It was a good read also.    :aok
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 12:40:37 AM »
I remember I was in a K4 fighting an F4U in some very high rolling scissors over mountainous terrain. About a minute and a half in, we're getting close to nose on each other, but I get guns first and pump a few taters into his wing. He starts spinning, and as I dive past, I guess his wing happened to rotate into my tail, and took off my vertical stabilizer.

So he's heading up at about 250, in going straight down at roughly 350, clearly I'm going to impact first. I pull up, hoping I can kind of flop around long enough to let him hit the ground first so I can collect my kill and avoid giving him one. But I'm faced with a dilemma. To maintain a modicum of stability, I need airspeed. But my engine's torque is also contributing significantly to my problems.

I put it nose down at about 25‰ throttle, trying to no avail to slow my descent. I'm about 2000agl when I give up hope. I'm in fairly steep dive trying to avoid the side of a mountain, when inspiration strikes me. If I can touch down at less than 150, I can maybe come away with a ditch. So I pull up, pop full flaps and gear, kinda drunkenly spiral around, and smack into the hill at what the film viewer indicated to be 142mph. Gear buckles, tail and left wing snap off, and I start rotating as I'm sliding.

Eventually my plane decides to stop, and about 90 seconds after I take the shot, kill number 4 in the bag.
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 03:36:49 AM »
I remember I was in a K4 fighting an F4U in some very high rolling scissors over mountainous terrain. About a minute and a half in, we're getting close to nose on each other, but I get guns first and pump a few taters into his wing. He starts spinning, and as I dive past, I guess his wing happened to rotate into my tail, and took off my vertical stabilizer.

So he's heading up at about 250, in going straight down at roughly 350, clearly I'm going to impact first. I pull up, hoping I can kind of flop around long enough to let him hit the ground first so I can collect my kill and avoid giving him one. But I'm faced with a dilemma. To maintain a modicum of stability, I need airspeed. But my engine's torque is also contributing significantly to my problems.

I put it nose down at about 25‰ throttle, trying to no avail to slow my descent. I'm about 2000agl when I give up hope. I'm in fairly steep dive trying to avoid the side of a mountain, when inspiration strikes me. If I can touch down at less than 150, I can maybe come away with a ditch. So I pull up, pop full flaps and gear, kinda drunkenly spiral around, and smack into the hill at what the film viewer indicated to be 142mph. Gear buckles, tail and left wing snap off, and I start rotating as I'm sliding.

Eventually my plane decides to stop, and about 90 seconds after I take the shot, kill number 4 in the bag.

Amazing what we think of when our feet are close to the fire. Nice job!

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 10:58:44 AM »

I had a similar one when I was in a 262 and got my vstab shot off by a bomber.  I was sitting back grumbling to myself over the loss of perks as I lost control of the plane.  The throttle was firewalled, and the plane started to flop down like a leaf, but as I was going down I noticed it was maintaining reasonably horizontal pitch attitude and airspeed sub-150.  Vertical descent speed was sub-1000.  I was also over the ocean in friendly territory, so I thought to myself I might be able to ditch it.

I kept the throttle firewalled because I figured changing that might change what the plane was doing, and  fiddled with the ailerons and elevator on my way down to try to keep it doing what it was doing, and wound up getting the ditch.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 08:03:29 PM »
In an early version of warbirds, I flew a zero all the way home missing a wing and landed it on the runway.

It probably would have blown up in aces high with the sub-200mph thing.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 09:37:13 PM »
My best recovery was when I lost half a wing on both sides of an F4U and made a successful landing on a Cv.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 09:41:13 PM »
My best recovery was when I lost half a wing on both sides of an F4U and made a successful landing on a Cv.

uber flaps  :old: