Author Topic: Throttle sound issue  (Read 474 times)

Offline syko

• Zinc Member
      • Pigs On The Wing
Throttle sound issue
« on: December 05, 2015, 01:19:19 PM »
Plane sound doesn't go down when you back throttle off, it sounds like it is full throttle, but when you back off the throttle the speedometer goes down but sounds doesn't.
Pigs On The Wing
PIG COMMANDER
[90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap
The Big Rabits

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Throttle sound issue
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 01:32:10 PM »
It's a sound issue in this alpha release. Changes.txt is your friend.

5. We are now using the fmod studio event systems for almost all sounds.
Most sounds are simply the old ones used as place holders.
Airplanes are now using the new engine system, but we only have 1 engine type as a place holder.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 07:15:06 PM »
To be fair there is nothing in the changes.txt that says the (one) engine sound won't track throttle position.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 09:02:16 AM »
In real life the throttle dosn't change the sound of the engine much with fixed pitch props when your in level flight.

It will not be sounding like before ,but it will be different then it is now in the current beta.

HiTech

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 10:50:23 AM »
Hopefully, the suttle changes in engine sound will be enough to signal my brain, throttle position.  This is an area of many potential complaints. 

In heated dogfights, it is very possible to forget you have chopped throttle, and I personally have come accustomed to engine sounds reflecting airspeed to a greater degree than an actual pilot. 

I do pretty much the same with my truck engine sounds, when changing gears.  I guess I also look for visual clues and tire and wind sounds in combination, but rarely look at the speedometer.

Offline syko

• Zinc Member
      • Pigs On The Wing
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 06:08:02 PM »
if you throttle back a plane engine it changes rpms which makes a different sound in the motor. more rpm's higher winding sound... lower rpms lower sound in the motor. all engine work like that, they don't sound like full throttle all the time.
Pigs On The Wing
PIG COMMANDER
[90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap
The Big Rabits

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 06:34:53 PM »
A constant speed propeller doesn't change RPM it changes pitch. The only planes without constant speed propellers in AH are the WW1 aircraft and the Fieseler Storch.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 06:58:21 PM »
In real life the throttle dosn't change the sound of the engine much with fixed pitch props when your in level flight.

It will not be sounding like before ,but it will be different then it is now in the current beta.

HiTech

Will this be more like the live mic sound pickups from warbirds cockpits at youtube? Kermit Weeks seems to have a large group of live sound pickup from the cockpit videos of a number of warbirds. Sounds seem to follow a standard formula. Idle, power on for take off and variations between no throttle, cruise, or full throttle. Variations, not really drastic changes.

Everyone can give his videos a listen here. And you can find videos for just about all engines we have in the game from restored warbirds. If anything, monotonous from inside the cockpit.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Kermit+Weeks
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 07:13:12 PM »
It took Hitech 3 days to explain it to me........

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Offline Pawz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 07:17:00 PM »
please tell me its not staying like this!
When I die bury me in a P38.

I watch day after day, week after week, tour after tour, the Bishops and Rooks take bases and win maps while the Knights stand there with their thumbs stuck in their butts. It's just pathetic!

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 07:27:22 PM »
please tell me its not staying like this!

It will not be sounding like before ,but it will be different than it is now in the current beta.

HiTech

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 07:52:35 PM »

Huh huh, he said beta, huh huh.

Maybe we will finally get that increased pitch when we over speed during divebombing in the p-51.  I saw it on YouTube , I'll have to post it when I can.