Author Topic: P-38 attacking bomber formation-angle of attack?  (Read 1833 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: P-38 attacking bomber formation-angle of attack?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2015, 11:42:27 PM »
not sure if this helps or not but I have some film of what I think is a good series of attacks. My gunnery is still lacking (I'm only just back)
but I think the approaches are sound.

www.baileyarabians.com/AH/BomberKill/how_to_kill_bombers.ahf

I think Randy's films would look like yours. The guns on Randy's P-38 are ideally clustered for a long shot from above and he could conceivably pull out before ending up on the dead 6 like you also did. Happily you aren't there long. When the bomber doesn't die and you keep pointing at it to shoot it you will always end up on their 6. The only way to avoid that in this type of attack is to dive below or pull out above the bombers. In either case you'd have to stop shooting a little sooner.

There is a range and dive angle where the bottom of the sight ring shows where you will consistently hit the bomber you're diving on. You can easily learn that on the offline drones with the lead computing gun sight. Aiming between the wing roots allows for dispersion at max range.

Alternately the film I posted shows how to avoid the 6 position with a slashing attack and raking fire at close range. I'm not saying it's a better way but it's fun.  :D
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 11:50:33 PM by FLS »

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 08:27:42 AM »
Yes, unfortunately my gunnery is pretty bad so I have to stay on target far too long.  I'm working on it.  :D

Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 03:00:32 PM »
Here is a film of me attacking some bombers. You can see the methods I've described in the thread here. I only come on the dead six once I realize they are not shooting, but then there was spit after me too.  Also it shows some defensive techniques during gang situations. The icons are off, but everyone thing is a red trying to kill me lol

« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 03:04:22 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion