Author Topic: Designing a new Terrain for AH3 question for you experienced Terrain Builders  (Read 336 times)

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
If you make a terrain for the LWA does it necessarily have to follow the previous formats used in AH2.  I will d/l it and get started in January.
For example.......Large Fields have 4 ammo bunkers, 1 V hangar, autos are located all over the field, and so on.

What if I made a high alt field near the strats (cannot be captured) that had 8 bomber hangars, 2 fighter hangers, and three V hangars. 8 ammo bunkers, and all the autos are located along the runway?

As far as fields located near a potential furball alley: 8 fighter hangars, 1 ammo bunker, 2 bomber hangars, and all auto guns along the runway.
I would place the 37mm and Flack 88's at the ends of the runways for better visibility.

Are all the different fields (ie. Small Fields, Med. Fields, Large Fields) locked into their AH2 parameters?

Keep in mind I am new to this and I know it will be a very steep learning curve.

Your comments on terrain building are appreciated.
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
If Easycore or Greebo are willing, talk to them.

You can learn the nuts and bolts of the editor tools on your own in about a week if you bang your head against it. That got me a single island for gunnery practice. I'm at a point that I realize before you lay down your first land mass, you should have long before sat down with a pad and pencil and worked out what you want all of it to look like in the end. There are many objects you will have to keep track of that a work sheet, elevations list and schematic will help. Then the oba file is your friend along with understanding elevation "y" for objects when you place them on the terrain.

If you do not know how things work, best to create a test terrain to test how the terrain editor, then objects function offline. Some things don't turn out like you think they looked when you built them inside the terrain editor. Worst thing is the elevation tool. You think you have fixed a bump to find out when you place your nose 30ft above the terrain, you have sunk a hole next to the flat area you are so proud of.

You will need help with roads, trains, supply barges and the strats and resupply concepts. Not to mention task groups, vehicle spawns and PT spawns. Oh and those pesky shore batteries. Then painting your terrain...hehehehehehe weeeeeeeee........ :rolleyes:

Easycore and Greebo can help you through those kinds of growing pains. I think my gunnery terrain is just about ready for testing except I keep messing with it as I discover more mistakes and something better to blow up..... :O
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
The answer is i very much doubt we would allow custom objects into the main arena. The reason is one of support for us. Say for example we decide to enable 4 season for the same terrains. We would also then have to support the custom objects.

HiTech

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
The answer is i very much doubt we would allow custom objects into the main arena. The reason is one of support for us. Say for example we decide to enable 4 season for the same terrains. We would also then have to support the custom objects.

HiTech

That makes sense.  Thank you for the quick response.

Thank you bustr.........I'll test everything repeatedly. 

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
As HT said you can't build your own airfields in an MA terrain, however there is a new super-large airfield with a built-in town in AH3 that you can add. I haven't counted how many hangars its got though.

If you are designing an MA terrain there are various HTC guidelines regarding that in the sticky post in the TE forum. I have a few of my own suggestions about it.

The terrain should be fair to all three sides, players shouldn't be saying "Oh no, we got the north side again". I realise this does not always apply to existing MA terrains but if you design an asymmetrical layout you should be prepared to justify it to HTC. Personally I think the layout should also be fair to each type of player. So GVers should have a reasonable selection of spawn routes to choose from and there should be a good chance of CV action somewhere.

An MA field can have up to 255 fields and be either 256 or 512 miles square. Something to bear in mind is that to win the war a country has to capture 20% of each opponent's fields. So for a 120 field map that means 8 fields from each side (0.2 x 120/3). To add one more field per side to the win requirement you need to add 15 fields in total, so 120, 135, 150 and so on up to 255 which requires 17 fields per side. It also means that the fields towards the rear of your map are less likely to be fought over so you should put the most thought into your forward fields' layout.

The biggest difference between the various MA maps is in how many front line fields are available to be fought over at any one time. The more choices of nearby airfields or available SPs a player has, the more spread out the action becomes, especially at off-peak times. Personally I don't like maps that have more than four choices of field per front line per side.

Airfields should be between 18 and 25 miles apart and not higher than 5K, bombers struggle to get airborne with a full load if fields are higher than that. No other type of field should be closer than three miles from another. There should be a reasonable capture path for each field; either a nearby airfield, a spawn point into it, or access for a task group.

I'd suggest putting each HQ and city reasonably far back from the front line. The three fields nearest the HQ are always uncapturable and one of these is the Me 163 field.

Once you have your layout worked out send a drawing and a description of it to HTC and maybe post it in the TE forum. You should point out anything on it that is unusual, i.e. that you have not seen done on an existing MA terrain. Generally if it hasn't been done there's a reason why. You should do this before you start serious work on it in the TE as having to redo work later is very off-putting.

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
Good info. Thank you Greebo for taking the time to pass that on.
i will use a big chalkboard to reason it out.

<S>