Author Topic: Beta Color and Graphics?  (Read 693 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Beta Color and Graphics?
« on: March 27, 2016, 08:14:29 AM »
The colors in the Beta remind me of bland, comic strip colors.   From a tank, not so bad, the trees look great as compared to ah2.  From a plane, looking at the ground not so good.

I think it has a lot to do with the limited contrast between colors you see from the air.  Lots of just yellow and green.

I run with all graphics checks on with default sliders.

The cockpit graphics are mushy in beta where they are sharp and clear in AH2.

If I were to have to choose, I would choose the beta for gv work and ah2 for air work.  If I had to choose just one, then it would be ah2's graphics as it stands now in the beta.

Anybody else have a concern with the way the beta looks?

This is not meant to be a complaint but feedback for the beta testing program.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Re: Beta Color and Graphics?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 09:14:09 AM »
I think the colors and contrast can be adjusted with monitor or vid card settings.

However, I also see the difference in sharpness, with AH2 being sharper than the AH3 Beta.  Was hoping that it was my video card and an upgrade would restore the AH2 sharpness.
Or, will there be a "high res" version of AH3 as there is for AH2?

KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Online Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 09:18:41 AM »
in the video settings,  AH2 has a maximum of 2048   AH Beta has 4096  try using this setting.   

Also change the FOV to whatever your using in the current version.   
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 09:36:52 AM »
There doesn't appear to be a difference in "sharpness" between AH3 2048 or 4096.

These are cropped screen shots that illustrate what I am seeing:

KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 10:00:38 AM »
Those concerned about lack of sharpness try unselecting AH Anti-Aliasing under Post Lighting (or turn Post Lighting off).  If Post Lighting is on, then the GPU super sampling anti-aliasing is disabled, no matter what the GPU settings, and if you have AH AA enabled it appears to make use of something like morphological AA, which sort of just smooths the screen image, at screen resolution, thereby reducing sharpness below screen resolution.  The various GPU AA settings do what is called multiple sampling (MSAA); they calculate multiple 2D pixels per screen pixel and then average them down to full screen resolution.  In other words, they calculate the projected 2D image at an equivalent resolution higher than the screen resolution, then smooth down to screen resolution.  They slow down frames per second though, due to all the extra calculations and if you don't select FSAA or adaptive MSAA, which are very slow, it does this only for the edges of 3D polygons and not for the interior textures.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 11:07:08 AM »
Yes.  Anti-Aliasing is the difference.

Thanks, 715!

:salute
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 11:26:58 AM by popeye »
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 11:01:29 PM »
Turning off AA stopped my icons from fading in and out along with getting back crisper definition. I can live with the tiny jaggies.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 05:21:58 AM »
Yes.  Anti-Aliasing is the difference.

Thanks, 715!

:salute

Latter today, I will give that a go as well.

in the video settings,  AH2 has a maximum of 2048   AH Beta has 4096  try using this setting.   

Also change the FOV to whatever your using in the current version.   

I do use the 4096 and have tried several different fov setting including my ah2 setting.  I will mess with the fov after turning off the post lighting.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 04:47:59 PM »
Did some low flying in the 38.  Anti-Aliasing off made little difference using my fov from ah2 but it did make a difference using the default fov in beta on the sharpness of the cockpit.  Ah2 still looks better.

I made several test switching post lighting on and off or Anti-Aliasing off leaving post lighting on.

It just does not look right.

Everyone seems to be enjoying the GV views.