Author Topic: Skin Downloads  (Read 652 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Skin Downloads
« on: May 18, 2016, 05:49:24 PM »
I got to the end of the P-51 skins and no more skins have come down since?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Skin Downloads
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 10:07:31 PM »
I can't wait till they get skins in AH III
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 11:37:39 PM »
The P-51 has like 31.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 05:58:12 AM »
The P51D skins are the only ones converted to AHIII, at the moment.  We did the limited skin conversion just to test all the related processes.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 05:07:37 AM »
Thanks

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 11:57:40 AM »
Skuzzy,

About the conversions, they look very pleasing to me.  I know that I am going to get the objections that aluminum skins are too light, but the polished metallic look is what I have desired to see for some time. 

Now, the conversion of the "alpha" layer is something that I would hope that I could be helpful with a method of conversion.  Currently it appears like every inch of the skin is shiny, including flat painted surfaces and intentional imperfections like oil smudges and streaks. 

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 12:03:50 PM »
Most of the P51D skins are using the default map for all lighting components as they were never submitted with anything other than the base bitmap, so they are not going to look that good, as compared to a skin natively done for AHIII.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 12:18:20 PM »
Yes, not as good.... but just referring back to Greebo's Tutorial http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,378949.msg5045819.html#msg5045819 (wonderful explanation), it is the "specular" map that I believe can be "artificially" created in order to give a "painted" feel over bare metal.

Let me experiment, and see how it evolves.  You guys have your priorities and this area has been pretty much been supported by community submissions (of course with HTC approval) in  the past, so I suspect they will officially be updated along the way by their individual skinners anyhow.

To be clear, I like them as they are.  This is an unnecessary tweak, but hoping something worthwhile.  That is all depending upon the cost / benefit of doing anything I truly understand.

Edit:  I was able to make a "useable" specular map from the flattened image of the diffuse map in gray scale.  I added contrast and brightness.  I can't quite remember, if it was necessary to remove the alpha layer first.  So, I am just saying it is doable... and I would be willing to try this with converted skins, but I would need the diffuse map from the skinner as that info is not shared or exported from the game itself.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 02:31:15 PM by Chilli »

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 04:11:27 PM »
Most of the P51D skins are using the default map for all lighting components as they were never submitted with anything other than the base bitmap, so they are not going to look that good, as compared to a skin natively done for AHIII.

Skuzzy, when the time comes for skin adoption, would it be appropriate to make spec and normal maps for existing bitmaps?
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 04:38:02 PM »
I can see where the difficulty arises ... nevermind, it only works well if painted surfaces are darker colors. 

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 06:44:19 AM »
Skuzzy, when the time comes for skin adoption, would it be appropriate to make spec and normal maps for existing bitmaps?

That would varfy from skin to skin, but, generally speaking, yes the skin should benefit from having its own maps (specular, env, normal...).
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese