Author Topic: Arnold Palmer  (Read 559 times)

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
Arnold Palmer
« on: September 25, 2016, 11:32:31 PM »
Has passed away. RIP.  :pray
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Re: Arnold Palmer
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 07:53:21 AM »
Sad but he had a good innings.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 09:01:11 AM »
Being someone who remembers the 50's and 60s' Arnold Palmer WAS Golf to many Americans.  Arnold changed the way the American people saw Golf.  The world also!

He is an Icon for everyman.  Golf was generally a Country Club sport at that time.  His success, humility, easy smile and respect for all people made him sportsman of the year in 1960.

He was daring on the course not conservative.  He took chances as if saying WTF why not take the shot.  He succeeded more often then not taking chances other golfers would not.

His slashing swing was not close to perfect and lots of Pro criticized it.  It worked for Palmer.  He was a hero for everyman.  He made everyone who spoke with them feel like they

were the only two people there.  His focus was on you.  I can't remember who said this but it is appropriate.

Jack Nicklaus and Arnold were standing before God.  God told Nicklaus "I will give you more talent then anyone who plays now and forever in the game of Golf."  In turn he looked at

Arnold and said "But they will love you more."  More appropriate words could not have been spoken.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 09:16:46 AM »
Good post Hajo. I've lived in Augusta all my life, and have been to my share of practice rounds and tournament rounds at the Masters here at the Augusta National. Palmer always had a huge following, no matter where he was in the tournament. He was loved and admired by every fan.
I will miss him.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 12:30:44 PM »
<S> to a great gift to golf.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 01:07:20 PM »
Being someone who remembers the 50's and 60s' Arnold Palmer WAS Golf to many Americans.  Arnold changed the way the American people saw Golf.  The world also!

He is an Icon for everyman.  Golf was generally a Country Club sport at that time.  His success, humility, easy smile and respect for all people made him sportsman of the year in 1960.

He was daring on the course not conservative.  He took chances as if saying WTF why not take the shot.  He succeeded more often then not taking chances other golfers would not.

His slashing swing was not close to perfect and lots of Pro criticized it.  It worked for Palmer.  He was a hero for everyman.  He made everyone who spoke with them feel like they

were the only two people there.  His focus was on you.  I can't remember who said this but it is appropriate.

Jack Nicklaus and Arnold were standing before God.  God told Nicklaus "I will give you more talent then anyone who plays now and forever in the game of Golf."  In turn he looked at

Arnold and said "But they will love you more."  More appropriate words could not have been spoken.

well said.

I will remember one of Arnie's last shots in semi-competitive tournaments.  It seems his grandson or some relative was on the bag.  It was 18 at Bay Hill if i remember correctly, a par five that had a fairway and green that wrapped around a large pond as if you had your left index finger outstretched while trying to bend your last knuckle.  Arnie had a long distance to the green, longer than he could hit.  After some smiles and laughter he decide to go for it. He pulled out the driver and swung away.

It was a awesome moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbVzQ-tVCKo

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 01:18:26 PM »
Saw him tee off at the number one hole at the masters.  Arnie had an eye for cleavage. Had an ugly swing that made us all feel like we could play the game.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 01:46:27 PM »
Hajo reflects my sentiments well.

Arnold was my first sports hero.

A fine man who displayed what character looks like despite the riches that came his way.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 01:57:02 PM »
Arnie was a huge ambassador for aviation as well.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 01:59:08 PM by Golfer »

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 11:26:26 PM »
Arnie and Jack Nicklaus had a great rivalry, but were best friends. One time they were at an event together in the midwest and Jack offered Arnie a ride back to Orlando on his jet as it returned to Jack's home in Palm Beach. Jack and his wife got off at Atlanta and Arnie would stay on to Orlando.

Arnie asked the pilot the flying time to Orlando and the pilot said about an hour.

Arnie winked and said, "My plane will do it 45 minutes..."

:D