Author Topic: Tracer smoke moves wrong way in turn fight  (Read 5374 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Tracer smoke moves wrong way in turn fight
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2016, 01:55:38 PM »
Yes.....alot about people, their opinions of themselves, and how the game is modeled.

Did you by chance look at my post with the pictures showing 1G level flight at 221mph and 250mph?

I looked at them whats your point, btw you can get a good estimate of your aoa using the pitch ladder and the gun sight. There is about 1/2 to 1 deg difference between 221 and 250.

HiTech

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2016, 02:22:17 PM »
Nice tip.  :aok

I assume that would be in level flight.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 02:34:54 PM by FLS »

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2016, 04:00:05 PM »
you can get a good estimate of your aoa using the pitch ladder and the gun sight. There is about 1/2 to 1 deg difference between 221 and 250.

HiTech

I have also used the .target command to note the difference speed has on AoA.  I actually did this a while ago when creating a gunsight for the K-4 that had hash marks set for 800 yards at speeds of 275, 300 and 325.  If you are chasing someone who is extending level, the faster you are the more you need to raise the nose to "loft" a tater out at them.  There is still a ton of dispersion at that distance, but every once in a while the gunsight worked and I could nail somebody running away, much to my satisfaction (and the aimbot claims that come with it).

I also noted when working on my gunnery course and using the .target command, that the Corsair in auto-level at 250mph will start with the pipper well above the bullseye and that it drops in line with the bullseye when you reach 300mph level.

So, I think with some simple trigonometry and the .target command you can figure out the angle at various speeds in level flight.  The velocity vector and the target form a right triangle.  The vertical distance between the pipper and the bullseye would be the length of the side opposite the angle.  The distance to the target is the length of the side adjacent to the angle. 

The trig formula for calculating that angle (alpha) is: tan (alpha) = Opposite / Adjacent

which converts to: alpha = arctan (O/A).

So, if the pipper is 15-feet above the bullseye at 300 yards (or 900 feet) then the calculation is: alpha = arctan (15/900) which gives an alpha of .995 degrees.

Check my math, but I think this is right.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 06:19:48 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2016, 04:47:28 AM »
Dup post deleted
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2016, 07:02:31 AM »
Based on HT's estimate of 1 to 1.5 degrees for level flight difference between 220 and 250...and what the pictures show...it appears his math is correct.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:06:39 AM by Dobs »
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution