Author Topic: Starting from Scratch!  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Starting from Scratch!
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 12:35:32 PM »
Just have to be careful.  The EVGA G1 series is not made by Super Flower and are not of the same quality.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2016, 06:45:16 AM »
Question:

When I connect the 1060 vid card to monitor via HDMI, is audio also transmitted to the monitor thru the HDMI? Last time, I still had to use the PC audio outputs.
Has that changed?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2016, 06:47:17 AM »
If you want to hear audio through the HDMI port you have to allow the NVidia HDMI audio pass-through driver to be installed and active.  If you do this, then be sure to disable our onboard audio device as the HDMI pass-through drivers do not play well with other audio devices.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2016, 07:03:59 AM »
If you want to hear audio through the HDMI port you have to allow the NVidia HDMI audio pass-through driver to be installed and active.  If you do this, then be sure to disable our onboard audio device as the HDMI pass-through drivers do not play well with other audio devices.

Wow, fast answer for so early in the morning.
Sounds like more trouble than it is worth, software conflicts are not welcome.
If there is no real advantage to it, I'll just stick to what I know works..

Gratzi!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 07:08:19 AM by OldNitro »

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2016, 09:40:12 AM »
I braved Walmart, friday afternoon, 2 days before Christmas, and survived, woohoo :banana:

Got a 55inch 120hz Sanyo on sale for $389, new, not refurb. Maybe not the best in the world, but will do me nicely.

Question:
Have been perusing sticks on Newegg. Was looking at system requirements in the specs. It seems that only the very top of the line sticks list Windows10. While most list XP Vista & W7. Is there some backward compatibility in these stick options? Or to work with W10, do I have to buy the $400-500 option.

X52 looks pretty good, reasonable price and good features. If it will work for my rig?
And what is the diff between an X52, and X52 pro? The specs are very vague.

Merry Christmas All, and soon you can kill me all you like!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 10:24:12 AM by OldNitro »

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2016, 10:51:03 AM »
took a few minutes to find a review for the 52 versus the 52pro.

Most are saying better quality and more 'feel' / 'tension' in the stick with the 52 pro.
It also sounds like there was an intermittant quality issue with the 52 and slop in the middle.

http://www.simhq.com/_technology2/technology_104d.html

and p.s. I have the 52 pro. I went through 3 other sticks and this is the first one that is acceptable for me.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 10:52:44 AM by Kanth »
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2016, 12:35:15 PM »
took a few minutes to find a review for the 52 versus the 52pro.

Most are saying better quality and more 'feel' / 'tension' in the stick with the 52 pro.
It also sounds like there was an intermittant quality issue with the 52 and slop in the middle.

http://www.simhq.com/_technology2/technology_104d.html

and p.s. I have the 52 pro. I went through 3 other sticks and this is the first one that is acceptable for me.

Thanks for the link, another source of info. Exactly what I needed, W7 or better, that "or better" part makes all the difference! Yeah, I like the Pro too, sounds like it would be more durable, and the black finish looks better to my eye.

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2016, 07:20:15 AM »
YAY, my parts have arrived and work is proceeding on my machine.  :rock
55" monitor is in position on my desk. Reminds me of a line from the movie Dirty Harry, "My, that's a big one!" :grin: 
X52pro is ordered from Newegg, that'll get here next week maybe.

Today or tomorrow I will have to decide on which OS to use, W7 or W10. After reading various posts about that on these BB pages, and discussing it with my machine builder, I am still undecided. At first I figured W7, because of the Spyware and control issues in W10. But my computer guy says that, since I am not super savvy about computers, MS update problems in W7 could be a concern for me. From what I have read here, about having to sort thru older updates to solve problems, that has been on my mind. The Builder can install either, doesn't matter to him, but he says that "10 is the future", and would likely be less trouble for someone who is not very experienced like me. He can disable the Spyware, but when 10 updates, it will turn the spyware back on again, and I will have no control over when it updates. So I will have to turn it back off every time.  :rolleyes: oh man, what ever happened to simple old XP? Man, I just want less hassle, less trouble with the machine. And if they happen to spy on me, I hope they can see me Flippen em the Bird! Just the thought of them stealing and selling my info, sure makes me grind my teeth! :mad: And I know the nosey buggers at MS are counting on me accepting the violation, just to avoid the hassle! That makes it even worse!
So, even tho I hate it, I guess I am leaning toward 10, dammit!

Question: Is it possible to map a PS style USB hand controller to Aces high?
Seems like it would be more handy for driving tracked vehicles than an X52.

Question: Which is the most effective Headset set up, giving the best SA in the game? A USB type, or the onboard Realtec 7.1? Also would appreciate opinion on the Headsets that have the multiple speakers inside the ear enclosures, are they worth the trouble in AH3?

Thanks for any info

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2016, 08:47:43 AM »
If Windows can see the PS style USB controller, AH can use it.

There's pros and cons for both the onboard and USB headsets. The USB ones process the sound signal outside the box, thus reducing hum caused by electromagnetics. Then again, they add to the USB power consumption which can cause power loss related issues with your gaming gear. If you're not going to get an audiophile level DAC, game sounds will deliver well through the onboard Realtek circuit. A dedicated sound card doing the sound processing would take some load off your processor, so that's also an alternative worth considering. Notice that not all sound cards include a sound processor, the cheapest ones may even perform worse than the Realtek.

I've been using 5.1 headphones for about a decade now and to be honest I can't aim by ear. How the multiple speaker earphones work may even depend on the shape of your ears. People with protruding ears might benefit more by having one speaker in front and another behind the ear in the ear cups. Simulated multi-speaker systems in a (USB) stereo headset sounds like a gimmick to me.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2016, 06:56:41 AM »
Thanks Bizman.

I really don't need super audiophile type sound system.
My only real concern is making sure I get the "directional hearing" through my headset.. Say a vehicle starts it's engine out in the woods, I want to be able to tell which direction the sound came from. Not having that is very disorienting, and a major handicap in gameplay.

Just trying to save some time and trouble by getting the right equipment the first time around.. It's not just about wasting money on stuff that doesn't do the job. The nearest Bestbuy is hours away, and delivery takes a week+, that greatly drags the process out.

So a simple headset/mic from Wallyworld, plugged into the on board Realtec 7.1 will yield the 360 directional effect?

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2016, 07:41:34 AM »
Yes, a basic stereo headphone set should tell you at least rough dimensions. Left and right for sure, front and back are always questionable unless you can set the front and back speakers far enough. However, these things evolve all the time, getting a realistic 3d sound from two speakers seems to be easily doable at least based on the current sound bar systems for TV sets.

Many people have been totally happy with a €15 headset, the main issue with them is to find a model that fits your head and feels comfortable.

As has been said in another thread, gear screaming "Gaming" on their label are overpriced for the most part. For headsets that means that something suitable for "Voip" might be exactly the same as the "Gaming" version for a fraction of the price.

Caution: When buying a headset for your PC, check the plugs! PC headphones use two (or more for the 5.1) stereo plugs, i.e. Tip-Ring-Sleeve whereas smartphones, some laptops and Mac/Apple tend to have an extra ring for the microphone in a single plug.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2016, 08:17:15 AM »
Get to pick up my Machine today, :x

Yesterday the builder was running tests on it, said it's a pretty good combo, runs smooth. Will play any game I want at high resolutions with no problem, and it stays cool under load.  :cheers: Still waiting on the X52pro. :joystick:

Need to get a couple HDMI cables from Wallyworld, will look for a cheap headset when there. Just an ersatz set, to move forward, while I search for my best longterm option.

Was looking at the HyperX cloud 2, very high ratings with large numbers sold. It has some nice features at $99 new, reasonable price. Ebay has them for $50 refurb, direct from Kingston. The Ebay vendor has sold 500+, with very high satisfaction rate. Hmmm, tempting option!

Since such high numbers have been sold, was thinking that there might be some Cloud 2 users here on this BB. Would appreciate any in game function report, good, bad, OK, etc.

Thanks for all the advice, it has helped me get squared away.
Happy New Year All :salute