Author Topic: shopping for used computers for AH3  (Read 316 times)

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
shopping for used computers for AH3
« on: December 30, 2016, 11:58:53 PM »
My current computer is pretty inadequate (its a laptop now as the previous box is ugly inadequate,) and being a cheap bastard I am thinking along the lines of getting a used I7 or I5 desktop and putting a 1060 in it. I have a hard time keeping specs in my head so I would appreciate any simple instructions about what I should look for. The reason I think used is that Mobo CPU and legit operating system already seem to cost more than a used box. Here are a couple I am looking at:
http://eugene.craigslist.org/sys/5900301493.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/sys/5931539187.html

I am not partial intel vs amd and I don't really know how to compare all the different permutations. My gut tells me that either of these would work fine. One question I have if anybody knows is: with the name brand boxs (dell hp lenovo etc.) do they have weird power supply wiring? I have a 500watt decent power supply but I have heard that some dell machines are weird.

Thanks
Pies not kicks.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: shopping for used computers for AH3
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 03:27:51 AM »
The name brand boxes may use a different wiring schema. However, there's only one connector involved, the 20/24 pin motherboard one. The wires are colour coded so you should quite easily find out if the wiring is different to standard. I was going to say you could reassemble the wiring but it's not too easy. It's doable based on what I've heard but you might end up pulling the cords off the connectors as I did with my testing sample. So you'd better just check before buying.

Of the two the Dell looks much more worth the price. Also, Intel has a better reputation being compatible with AH, AMD used to have issues in using more than one core. Can't tell if that should be true with that one, though. Further, the HD7770 uses at least as much power as the 1060 you're planning to get so the original power supply should do if the connectors allow for it.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni