Author Topic: Observation: discrepancies or back sliding on gunnery  (Read 733 times)

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Observation: discrepancies or back sliding on gunnery
« on: February 15, 2017, 02:36:06 AM »
Hey guys! Does Ah design in the multitude of rounds(ie. high explosive, incendiary, armour piercing and so on)  that the planes carried? As I understand it, there were multiple types of ammo in each load out?I know tracers lol. Just curious as to the damage settings. I have noticed a drop off in damage on enemy planes lately, so just curious as to if this is a secondary problem(like the dot sizes of cons in Alpha and early beta) and will be addressed later? Like I said just curious! Wont change my opinion either way! This game is so intertwined with my social interactions. Pretty much the only non family interaction I get of late.It means more than you could understand. Just Seems that lethality of hits have dropped off in some instances. For example, seems the Yak's cannons hit way harder than in the past? .50 cals seem to be lacking the punch we had before? I would think that the longer I have played, the better gunnery I can achieve?! Just seems I am going backwards. My hit ratio has never been stellar, it just seems hits use to cause much more marked damage as compared to now!I dont know, would different speeds or abilities for computer to display the environment be a cause? Probably no, as the  "What YOU see is what you get" is the standard for dealing with lag? I have noticed a bit more warping thoug,seems more prevalent than I remeber? Its same internet, thus, why I am asking.  Inquiring minds want to know :bolt:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Observation: discrepancies or back sliding on gunnery
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 09:11:19 AM »
Good questions!

My experience about not getting better is similar to yours. I must admit, though, that I was way more active during the first five years or so, the last decade has been quieter. Apparently this isn't like riding a bicycle...

For what I've read there shouldn't be any major changes in weapon lethality. However, I can think about several reasons for poor lethality.

One reason is the added activity in the Internet due to the USA getting a new president. There's been a lot of buzzing both before and after the election.

Another reason is that Level3 keeps dropping packets and doesn't seem to do anything to fix the issue.

And yet another reason is sheer luck. Sometimes you're the king, sometimes the beggar.

:cheers:
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 09:32:47 AM »
Another reason is that Level3 keeps dropping packets and doesn't seem to do anything to fix the issue.

I get more assists now, and have been colliding with planes more often because they warp around.

I'm seeing 30-100% packet loss and latency of up to 2000ms at the Level3 hop in Denver when I use Ping Plotter to show my route to HTC's MA.

I have called Comcast support, and they taught me how to restart my PC, power off and on my cable modem, and run their speed test, which shows that I have an amazing connection.   Still, I was persistent in describing my problem with the Level3 hop and I had the issue escalated to the next level support, who I was promised would call me within 24-48 hours, 6 days ago.

I have read that Level3 does something called packet deprioritization, or something like that.

Offline donnieboy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 10:14:25 AM »
Hmmm...not that I understand all the technical explanation, I do appreciate. And it's good to know it's not just me.
I thought at first it was an adjustment period to the different graphics so I persisted and seemed to get a lot better. Now gunnery and damage just seems inconsistent. It could still be me...

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 11:07:08 AM »
Hmmm...not that I understand all the technical explanation, I do appreciate. And it's good to know it's not just me.
I thought at first it was an adjustment period to the different graphics so I persisted and seemed to get a lot better. Now gunnery and damage just seems inconsistent. It could still be me...

PingPlotter has a free version and its a quick download.  You can visually see the quality of your connection.    My in-game net status graph used to be very flat, now its uneven.   But it doesn't show the detail the PingPlotter does as far as losing packets

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 11:28:59 AM »
I was and to a small degree still do find that something changed.....not just one thing but a multitude of intricacies made things seem so out of whack for me...the biggest hurdle which frustrated me to no end was my gunnery.... I tried many different FOVs, changed my views, changed my convergence...first off was the change in sound...I had no SA or more I had become complacent and relied on the familiar. Slowly I got used to the sounds...but still gunnery was bad...I would cry myself to sleep every night for the first three tours.... yell and abuse kittens some too...eventually I turned off tracers...at first I still sucked really bad...but it did allow my muscle memory to reset...now I know it has been said that nothing really changed but for me something did...this past tour I have found my groove  a little again.... now I just suck....was never stellar at gunnery but my first few tours was shocking...

Just like when first starting out in AH something just clicks all of a sudden and it makes sense....
PS..to my mind there has been a small change in gunnery...whether it be a smaller bubble, a better sever response to where we all are in this virtual world or all in my mind...either way it was/is frustrating.