Author Topic: A few suggestions regarding effects and sounds  (Read 343 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
A few suggestions regarding effects and sounds
« on: February 24, 2017, 08:54:14 AM »
When you pull enough G's to begin to black out, I think the audio should be reduced as well - all audio, including vox. 

The tunnel vision effect is awesome, but isn't it true that your hearing dims as well when you are on the edge of a blackout?   I think the sound of heavy labored breathing would also be effective here - I've seen this in YouTube videos of other flight sims (DCS maybe?  Or Battle of Stalingrad?) and the labored breathing fits sound fits well with the darkened vision.

Also, I've noticed the flapping flags in town or on base don't have an associated sound with them.  I think the parachute opening sound could just be looped here and it would fit nicely be very effective.

Finally, when a flag changes state from normal to white - does it just instantly change?   We may have enough players camped near the flags at times like this to make it worth a flag lowering and raising animation, and that would be a nice touch.   

You guys are doing a great job with sounds.  I just bailed out offline and spent some time walking around listening to the birds singing, wind in the trees, distant dogs barking.  It's all very well done and pretty cool.   And when online, hearing other plane engines and distant explosions is very immersive.  Makes me wish I could stop my vehicle just short of a ridge, exit it and walk up to the top with binoculars to scan the area for enemy vehicles.

<S>

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
Re: A few suggestions regarding effects and sounds
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 06:18:34 PM »
Every time I've gone unconscious, I have been able to hear long after I could no longer see (tunnel closed all the way).

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 06:46:11 PM »
Every time I've gone unconscious, I have been able to hear long after I could no longer see (tunnel closed all the way).

I think it may just have been an impression of mine that was incorrect - I've looked up stuff about A-LOC and G-LOC, and loss of vision is common, motor skill impairment, and even cognitive function.  But they don't specific mention hearing loss.  I guess that would only occur and complete LOC, and I don't know if AH tries to model that.

So, scratch the suggestion for reduced volume.  Doesn't appear the be the case.  Thanks!  <S>

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 11:40:50 PM »
See rule 4
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 10:38:24 AM by hitech »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 10:36:44 AM »
ohh jeeez
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 10:41:38 AM »
I wish the sounds were filled out more. With the system they use in the game it looks like it is open to a very wide range of effects, not to mention sound events. I'd bet HTC could hire a guy full time to add sounds and he would never run out of work.