Author Topic: F4U-1A Lt. (jg) Doris "Chico" Freeman VF-17 "L.A. City Limits"  (Read 3264 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Re: F4U-1A Lt. (jg) Doris "Chico" Freeman VF-17 "L.A. City Limits"
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2020, 12:00:52 PM »
That looks really good Whiteman, should be a popular skin in the MA.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2020, 02:35:53 PM »
What was the purpose of the white stripe on the outboard wing leading edge, top and bottom, to the first seam?

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2020, 02:43:17 PM »
What was the purpose of the white stripe on the outboard wing leading edge, top and bottom, to the first seam?

Pretty sure that's tape to seal leaky wing tanks.

I asked him about similar stripes on the cowl in the other thread he started.

The tape itself from my understanding was just basic medical tape lol. Now as to why some had tape and others don’t I’m guessing some sealed better than others, or more likely the time period the picture was taken. This one actually does have the tape, but they painted over the tape with fresh Sea Blue paint. I’ll try to make it stand out more.

The previous one I did has the tape on the wings, -1/-1A had wing tanks as well. I’ve seen photos that have the full lot of wing and fuselage tape and others with single strips here and there. I’m guessing not every one leaked as bad.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2020, 02:48:27 PM »
Pretty sure that's tape to seal leaky wing tanks.

I asked him about similar stripes on the cowl in the other thread he started.

Thanks!  I read that also but, the white strips look symmetrical.  Just wondered if they were for some sort of visual reference, maybe with the wings folded. 

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2020, 03:25:57 PM »
Though F4U-1As had a 62 gallon non-self-sealing fuel tank in the leading edge of each wing (outboard the armament) I'm uncertain about the tape strips since the explanation for their use in front of the cockpit windscreen was to keep the windscreen clear of fuel and oil. If tape actually kept fuel from leaking in the wing tanks altogether I suppose that could be reason enough (though it would seem an illogical solution instead of taping the tanks, themself). The wing was covered by fabric behind the main spar. That was a whole lotta words for 'I don't know' and 'spit-balling.'

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2020, 04:06:31 PM »
Could be as simple as preventing airflow past a potential opening in the tank which could otherwise create a siphon effect.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2020, 04:30:50 PM »
Could be as simple as preventing airflow past a potential opening in the tank which could otherwise create a siphon effect.

Must not have been a universal problem, even within the squadron.

Note below that 29 (Kepford's plane) has main tank tape but no wing tape while 34 (Freeman's plane) has wing tape but no main tank tape.

That being said, it is the purview of the skinner to portray, as best one can, the historical look of the plane and until provided first person anecdotals not to fret the whys. I kinda like the differences. :)

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2020, 05:20:31 PM »

That could be why, why tape things if it doesn't do something? Always understood why in front of the windscreen, but never heard a reason for wings to have these as well.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2020, 10:40:38 PM »
Wow, beautiful skin there whiteman, superb work!