Author Topic: Never trust mountains in the Terrain Editor.  (Read 555 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Never trust mountains in the Terrain Editor.
« on: September 06, 2017, 07:38:12 PM »
So after the Labor Day weekend I'm thinking I'm over the hump with this terrain. All the islands and mountains are finished and I've populated Country-1 so I can test all of those feilds and GV spawns. You can't tweak the ground, trees and bushes until you have feilds to log into offline. Then start driving around looking at how a tank rolls through your assumption of good GV terrain. And start flying around to check for boo boos not obvious from the terrain editor.

Inside of the terrain editor you constantly have to fight the scale of things. And I thought I was doing a good job this time around. "NOT".... the terrain editor handed me my whatsus again... :ahand

There are 22 islands, all volcanic mountain range inspired, and today I realised what's been bothering me the whole time I've been populating Country-1 and testing the bases. My mountains all need a diet. I made the top 1000-2000 feet of almost all of the mountains too wide. So far I've trimmed down two islands worth, gawd do I hate mountains........

Yes Mabel, all feilds will have shore battery's and PT spawns, that's on another todo list for the future. Right now I've got Country-2 & Country-3 to populate while strangling all my mountains down to a size 3 bikini....

The clipboard map inside of the terrain editor with Country-1 populated. YOu can see with the center island and the one just north of it the mountain tops are thinner than most of the other island ranges.

Trimmed down center island. A fantasy concept of a blown out volcano to make a furball and tank town arena. The airfields have the same spacing as the 3 in the center of NDisles. All of the canals are crossed by indestructible bridges, each country gets 1 PT spawn. There are two nearby airfields on another island each 19miles away, if you let the bish steal your furball base, it will be a short hop to pick a fight and get it back. To get an M3 in they will have to spawn down to the tank town area then cross your bridges and drive all the way up. Or sneak in a c47 somehow because there is no access from the water visa an LVT...guess where the maproom is located :O 

Single small airfield with the maproom next to the tower. Canal between the GV spawns and the airfield with three indestructible bridges. Defiantly will need shore battery's and PT spawns since each country has 3 CV\BS task groups. You can see some of those first mountains that got a head shrinking applied to them.

Other side of the island and some more mountains that got "Head Shrunk".....

*Note to self, touchup that shore line...

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Never trust mountains in the Terrain Editor.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 09:53:40 PM »
Cleaned up another island, couldn't resist some screen shots of this.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 11:03:56 PM »
That's pretty unbelievable!

I can create all manner of cool equipment but that terrain requires artistic flair.....which is what i seem to lack

That terrain would be a good excuse to start playing again.

Offline BBQsam

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 04:28:41 AM »
I hereby declare this grand map to be named:

JURRASIC PARK  Mapby bustr

:D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 04:34:32 AM by BBQsam »
"I have really only one simple rule,
Give more to the game than you take away."
Zoney  December 23, 2009  ahbbs
--------------------------------------------------
<Salute> Pipz    September 27, 2017   RIP

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 08:36:43 AM »
Nice work Buster, looks like a lot of fun to play.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 10:11:30 AM »
Keep up the aggrivati--err hard work!  :devil

Looking great.

Looks like a pair of strats will be an enticing target being only a few sectors away. Or am I looking at it wrong?
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 11:16:58 AM »
Knock yourself out, just remember, someone will being doing that to yours. All bases and strats are mirrored across the three countries.

This terrain, I decided not to run spawns to strats. They are close enough to the nearest airfield, flying a c47 is not too much of a hardship.

Maybe Waffle can skin all the planes from the Pterodactylus family and we can have a Jurassic combat night...... Personally as I was climbing out into that caldera, I kept expecting Godzilla to peek through one of the cuts.

That caldera was the result of drawing the mountains in as flat 4 mile wide lines and pulling up the spines before I transferred all of those white place holder squares over from the 1:1 blue print. So I took a 4mil diameter tool and flattened the end to 30ft. Then I embellished on what looked like a giant bite out of a reeses cup. The screen shots are the final shape after giving the fat caldera a quick diet yesterday. If you look at the clipbaord map, you can just make out other calderas.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 02:47:10 PM »
The terrain looks really good Bustr. Thanks for all the effort you put into it, I know how long it takes to do all that.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 03:02:04 PM »
Looking forward to trying it out.   :aok
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?