Author Topic: New Gunsight for CV AAA?  (Read 547 times)

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
New Gunsight for CV AAA?
« on: September 14, 2017, 12:46:01 PM »
I found a rather interesting bit on the Mk.14 naval gunsight - I think this would make a worthy addition to the CV AAA mounts. 

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ref/Ordnance/GS-Mk14/

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Re: New Gunsight for CV AAA?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 01:28:22 PM »
:x ooooooou
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 01:54:58 PM »
Why not just ask Hitech to enable the LCG when online in the Melee arena for everything? He turns it on for one thing, might as well turn it on for anything. That is where the subsequent whines will wish list.

Here for the iron sight ring on the Naval 20mm, most players never test for it's max range which is 1200yds while it's effective is about 750yds. Then the 40mm has a similar problem that players don't know the max effective range or how to use the iron sight.

20mm Iron ring sight.

40mm Iron ring sight.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 06:09:56 PM »
I'd like to see the Iron Ring sight tested because I do not believe that the image we see on our screens in game equates to the calibrations shown on that manual.  Has anyone run by a standard mount at an airfield at the speeds shown at a fixed distance and tried it out?

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 11:12:50 PM »
Hitech left them at the AH2 centering for each gun.

20mm - 200
40mm - 400

The 20mm should be centered to the rear peep at 750 while the 40mm to 1000, then you adjust your drop and lead accordingly. Most people are missing in those guns because the rear peeps are centered too close. Come to think about it, I should have centered the wirbel\osti reticles at about 1000 instead of the  center color mask for the gunsight reflector plate that centers the rounds about 200-400. I need to remind myself to test a version of that. And the green LCD needs to be calibrated, it's less accurate in AH3 than it was in AH2 past about 600yds. Unless that has ever been it's effective range.

But, very few people really use these guns if they never have to.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 06:20:55 PM »
Good lord - no wonder I can't hit anything with a AAA gun.  I had no idea that they were set that close.   

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 02:25:29 PM »
Now I'm confused, check your 37mm, 20mm and 40mm. I had to set my 37mm to 1000 by changing my head position against the offline target. When I checked the 20mm and 40mm just now they were set at 750 and 1000. I can't remember if I set those about a year ago or if Waffle set them.

You just raise or lower your head position to change the impact point on the target.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 05:52:40 PM »
Exactly how are you setting that range and verifying it?   

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 06:06:59 PM »
Exactly how are you setting that range and verifying it?

I'm guessing here, but, I would use the .target XXX then adjust your head up and down to get the distance correct.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 06:49:04 PM »
Your reference is the horizontal bar on the front sight, raising and lowering your head position while the offline target is up at 750 or 1000 will change your impact point.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 09:17:32 PM »
The outer ring is really the lead for a 300 knot target??  Why does it seem (for the base 37 mm soft guns) that I have to lead far, far beyond the outer ring to hit a 90 deflection shot?  It seems I have to lead pretty much the entire screen (at max zoom) which is way beyond the iron ring??

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 10:15:03 PM »
Because the iron sight on the 3.7cm Flak is not the German sight and the method for lead was to use the tracers while a spotter adjusted your range. Eventually an optical sight like in the wirble became common with a spotter inputting range and lead was controlled by the shooter. the best you are going to get in AH is to set your impact range to the target center and learn to shoot from that reference point. It helps to check your drop at 1.5, 2, 2.5 and 3k. Problem with the LCD offline is you need to HOME your default view because that is what you have to aim with. You can see this on an offline terrain I use for gunnery practice that I have a spot setup so drones fly inside of 1000 past things like a 37mm or a wirbel.

I have a version of the default wirble reticle with the horizontal line set for 1000yds, doesn't work trying to use the LCD lead sight offline when I use that reticle.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 12:24:15 PM »
The outer ring is really the lead for a 300 knot target??  Why does it seem (for the base 37 mm soft guns) that I have to lead far, far beyond the outer ring to hit a 90 deflection shot?  It seems I have to lead pretty much the entire screen (at max zoom) which is way beyond the iron ring??

Yeah - what he said.   I can't hit squat in a 37mm AAA gun.   

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 12:30:11 PM »
Last night I spent time at several heavily vluched feilds with my wirbel reticle zeroed to 1000 and my 37mm iron sight set to 1000. Works very well by the numbers of players who decided I had to be put out of business for shooting their friends.

The 37mm can be set by using .target 1000 then turning to face the target. Set the ironsight cross bar on the center of the target and pull the trigger. Once you see where the rounds are really landing, move your default head position up or down until the horizontal bar held over the center of the target is showing hit sprites on target center. Now you are zero'd for 1000. Works the same with the NAVY 20mm and 40mm. For all I know over the years of alpha\beta testing I moved mine around for some reason and the default from Waffle is 1000.

Waffle if you are reading this.

Default impact point for the following.

NAVY 20mm - 750
NAVY 40mm - 1000
3.7cm flak - 1000

Lead and elevation past these ranges = practice. Results may vary depending on the vaugeries of the gremlins who vex computer games.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing