Author Topic: Star Wars BF2 Beta  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Star Wars BF2 Beta
« on: October 06, 2017, 08:29:29 PM »
Anyone else try this?  Jedi mind trick - "this is the Star Wars game you've been looking for.  You can go about your business".

It's great, a lot of fun.  The space ship combat still makes me yearn and wonder what HTC could do with a space shooter/game after how great and cool the Claw was, but it's pretty good in this BF2 beta.  Sure is pretty, the poor 1080tis are huffin and puffin to draw them there pictures though.

Sure isn't cheap though...Thank you Katherine Kennedy...NOT.  I shouldn't complain though, it's pretty good for beta, and will launch in 10 days.  Worst case the single player campaign story will be diverting for a day or two, but I think best case will apply and it'll be a great long term MP game for when you're in the mood for Star Wars or FPS type gameplay.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Star Wars BF2 Beta
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 02:19:11 AM »
I've been playing the crap out of the beta, great fun.  But Destiny 2 is coming out in a few weeks for the PC and I'll probably play that more than SWBF2.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline HPriller

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 02:35:01 PM »
EA's clearly catering to the console crowd.  It took me a while to find out how to download the beta using their idiotic origin frontend.  When I finally got it downloaded, and I tried to run it, nothing happened other than that loading circle of doom for a few seconds.  All it served to do was remind me of how badly EA burned me on Mass Effect Andromeda,  that game didn't launch correctly either on Origin half the time.  When it did launch it had a fairly long load time with no graphical representation of what it was actually doing.  Anyway, I was sorta excited to try this game and maybe purchase it.  But seeing how pathetic that excuse for a beta was I'm probably just gonna save my money this time.

Destiny 2 was another I was interested in, but that too seems heavily biased toward the console kids.  Why is the PC version release date over a month after the console release?  Do the wanna kill the market for the PC platform before it even launches?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 05:35:14 PM »
EA's clearly catering to the console crowd.  It took me a while to find out how to download the beta using their idiotic origin frontend.  When I finally got it downloaded, and I tried to run it, nothing happened other than that loading circle of doom for a few seconds.  All it served to do was remind me of how badly EA burned me on Mass Effect Andromeda,  that game didn't launch correctly either on Origin half the time.  When it did launch it had a fairly long load time with no graphical representation of what it was actually doing.  Anyway, I was sorta excited to try this game and maybe purchase it.  But seeing how pathetic that excuse for a beta was I'm probably just gonna save my money this time.

No offense but I think the problem was on the user end.  I had absolutely no issues at all downloading SWBF2 through Origin.  As soon as I logged into Origin on the day the beta was released, there was a window that popped up for me to download the beta which only took 10 minutes to download.  Running it was no issue either, nor was there any evidence of it being just a normal console port, SWBF2 for the PC played and looked great and the controls were (mouse + KB) was done very well.

Destiny 2 was another I was interested in, but that too seems heavily biased toward the console kids.  Why is the PC version release date over a month after the console release?  Do the wanna kill the market for the PC platform before it even launches?

Again, no offense but you really don't know what you're talking about.  The PC version of Destiny 2 is definitely not a console port, the PC version was programmed for the PC and not just an update of the console version for the PC.  The PC version was developed by another of Activision's studios, Vicarious Visions, that was tasked to develop the PC version while Bungie worked on the console versions.  The reason for the release date difference between the console and the PC version was to ensure that the PC version would provide the same experience as the console versions and needed some extra time to ensure that.  The PC version has native 4K support, text chat, full KB+mouse control, uncapped frame rates, fully adjustable field of view and graphics options, unlike the console versions.  If you had played the Destiny 2 PC beta, you would have seen that.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 06:42:06 PM »
No offense but I think the problem was on the user end.  I had absolutely no issues at all downloading SWBF2 through Origin.  As soon as I logged into Origin on the day the beta was released, there was a window that popped up for me to download the beta which only took 10 minutes to download.  Running it was no issue either, nor was there any evidence of it being just a normal console port, SWBF2 for the PC played and looked great and the controls were (mouse + KB) was done very well.

I'll disagree, only on the controls. I like the game overall. I hated the last, but this just feels a good amount better, SO FAR, enough that I decided to preorder after trying the beta. That being said, the controls do seem to be laid out for a gamepad rather than keyboard in mouse. It was nearly impossible to figure out missile controls for startfighters with keyboard settings just reading through the configuration options.

Offline HPriller

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 07:01:12 PM »
Again, no offense but you really don't know what you're talking about.

Clearly, I don't know what I'm talking about, *and yet* my original point still stands.  By releasing the game on console over a month before the PC version, several of my friends were essentially left with the choice of get in the game on the console here and now or wait 2 months and join the PC version.  As with so many other games that followed this same sort of release schedule, a lot just jumped on the console version because by the time the PC version is live the game will already be old news.

As far as my problem being on the user end.  Perhaps it is, perhaps it isn't.  But my system meets the specifications and I did manage to install the game, it just did nothing when I attempted to run it.  I did see something loading but then it stops without throwing up a single error message.  Given the glitchy history of damn near everything I've played off of Origin, I have to think their software is at least partially to blame.  Either way, I never got it running before the narrow window of this weekend beta closed.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 06:11:58 AM »
I have never had an issue with Origin.  Granted, the only games I have ever played were Titanfall and Titanfall 2, but they both played flawlessly.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com