Author Topic: Game should equalize the volume of all incoming VOX users automatically  (Read 1707 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Game should equalize the volume of all incoming VOX users automatically
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 01:47:09 PM »
Just don't come back and complain when that person is distorted, or can't be heard over noise, or hurts your eardrums because they finally configured their equipment correctly and you still have them set to +11 on the dial...  :devil

Like I said, turning them up is rarely a problem, and people tend to be more receptive to "you're quiet on vox" versus "You're too loud".  The number of times I've cared enough to turn up a random person is VASTLY outweighed by the number of times I've squelched a loud one. ;)

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 01:55:47 PM »
It can look ahead if you want a giant VOX delay. Our voice comms are recording files similar to VoIP. Your game client would have to run the file through a pre filter before letting you hear it or, your game client would do that at your end before sending it on to the VOX server for routing to everyone tuned to your channel(s). Like the game server the VOX server is a routing application, the game takes place on your client and everyone else's client by updates of positions and other environmental data routed by the game server. Ever asked yourself why everyone is forced to download the same terrain file to get into the arena?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 02:47:46 PM »
Honestly the main problem I perceive is not turning people UP. ;)

And "fix your setup" rarely changes anything on the internet.  Like Junky said, there are people who will figure, "Oh good!  People can hear me good!"

Wiley.

Just like those that constantly type in CAPS because, you know, what they have to say is so important and their messages need to be seen.   pffffftttt, armchair generals.

Mute early, mute often.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 02:49:37 PM by Zoney »
Wag more, bark less.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 04:35:25 PM »
I think the OP wants to Normalize the audio from everyones VOX.
It would be nice, but in order to actually do that the game would have to be able to 'look ahead'.  Same way a music CD can be normalized.
The game really can't look ahead, because it's a live signal.

Coogan

That's the thing; it's not live.  All VOX in game is already being pre-processed by at least 2 computers (theirs and ours).  This is true of all digital electronic communication, including cell phones, which of course contain microcontrollers operating at high clock rates.  So long as the hardware and software can do their jobs quickly enough, the delay will not be noticeable. 

BTW, my OP mentioned the AH software adjusting all VOX contributions to an equivalent level; the individual adjustment idea was someone else's.  This of course, could be a configuration item, so those wanting the un-adjusted VOX could retain it.  WRT to the guy who worries about background noise, my AH VOX delivers incoming messages sequentially, IIRC.  Therefore any single incoming player's VOX with an unintelligible level of background noise wouldn't affect incoming VOX from other players. 

MH
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 04:46:38 PM by TDeacon »

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 06:28:32 PM »
That's the thing; it's not live.  All VOX in game is already being pre-processed by at least 2 computers (theirs and ours).  This is true of all digital electronic communication, including cell phones, which of course contain microcontrollers operating at high clock rates.  So long as the hardware and software can do their jobs quickly enough, the delay will not be noticeable. 

BTW, my OP mentioned the AH software adjusting all VOX contributions to an equivalent level; the individual adjustment idea was someone else's.  This of course, could be a configuration item, so those wanting the un-adjusted VOX could retain it.  WRT to the guy who worries about background noise, my AH VOX delivers incoming messages sequentially, IIRC.  Therefore any single incoming player's VOX with an unintelligible level of background noise wouldn't affect incoming VOX from other players.

+1 then.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear