Author Topic: auto takeoff  (Read 1266 times)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
auto takeoff
« on: October 23, 2017, 09:28:34 AM »
I see a lot of new players asking, "how to take off".  Some apparently are on the runway but don't know how to increase the throttle.  It might help if "auto takeoff" would actually get the plane in the air at full throttle.  The throttle could then revert to manual if it was changed, just as control of the plane reverts to manual from auto climb with rudder or stick input.

It would also help if "auto takeoff" could be toggled on with a key command, for those players who launch on the runway without having set auto takeoff.  (Maybe the default is auto takeoff for new players (?))  So, when the new player asks, "how to take off", the answer would be a simple "press key __".

Whatever it takes to get the new player into the air with the least effort or confusion.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 09:56:56 AM by popeye »
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Zener

• Copper Member
Re: auto takeoff
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 10:15:50 AM »
I'm not so sure that's a good idea, popeye.  I'm all about getting new players off a good start and all, but at some point they have to do a little thinking on their own.  If a player can't figure out using full throttle for takeoff, what else aren't they going to be able to figure out?  Will they need auto-coordinated turns?  Automatic RTB when they reach bingo fuel?  Every game has a learning curve and I think it would be unreasonable to expect a new player to not have to do a little digging to figure out the rudiments of it such as giving it full gas when you want to go fast.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 10:17:50 AM »
I think this is a great idea.  Anything to help a newbie is a +.

A number of doyen of players use auto takeoff.  Would this be a negative to those players?

Doyen is a word I just stumbled across.  Doggone odd word but it fits.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 10:24:25 AM »
I think this is a great idea.  Anything to help a newbie is a +.

A number of doyen of players use auto takeoff.  Would this be a negative to those players?

Doyen is a word I just stumbled across.  Doggone odd word but it fits.

I though you meant 'dozen'..  (It kinda worked too.)

Coogan <<------Had to look up the word doyen..   lol
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 10:24:45 AM »
X is auto takeoff-also called level mode--shift-X is autopilot angle mode. the + and - button on the number pad is for throttle when a player is using a mouse.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 10:26:07 AM »
The game already does this. Auto take-off detects the throttle position set to a joystick automatically. If you use a mouse, then the auto take-off message tells the player what keys to use for throttle.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 10:52:46 AM »
The game already does this. Auto take-off detects the throttle position set to a joystick automatically. If you use a mouse, then the auto take-off message tells the player what keys to use for throttle.

When I set auto take-off I find myself sitting on the runway with engine idling.  Didn't know about the mouse message.  Forgot about X to set auto takeoff.

So, guess I'm just suggesting that auto take-off start with full throttle and get the plane into the air.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 10:59:37 AM »
Bad idea lots of us in fso need to sit on the runway so we lower the throttle to idle.

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 01:14:04 PM »
If you're on the ground stopped, even after rearming, and hit the X button, it puts you back into auto takeoff mode.   :aok
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 03:07:31 PM »
A button that over rides everything, sets your throttle full, and takes your plane off what ever the load out, as long as you keep your hands off. More fitting than air spawns in the MA.

Now once this gets them in the air, what do you do about the second question, "how do you fly this thing"...   Even an air spawn can't save them from that one. We hope that most new players trying out the game have some ability at stumbling through learning on "the fly" the mechanics of computer games. Wonder how many we loose because of the flight mechanics...
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 06:48:19 PM »
When I set auto take-off I find myself sitting on the runway with engine idling.  Didn't know about the mouse message.  Forgot about X to set auto takeoff.

So, guess I'm just suggesting that auto take-off start with full throttle and get the plane into the air.

right even with auto takeoff on unless throttle is you will just sit there.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Halo46

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 07:21:56 PM »
Every game has a learning curve and I think it would be unreasonable to expect a new player to not have to do a little digging to figure out the rudiments of it such as giving it full gas when you want to go fast.

I don't know what it is like today, but it required a lot more than a little digging to just find the list of basic commands when I first joined. Info was buried or on separate, non-HTC web sites. That list of basic commands should be prominently on display so little digging is required or, better yet, downloaded with the game in the HTC game files. I remember being very frustrated there was not a standard "Getting Started" manual or file for new players. Keep in mind, this was the first online game I ever played, so I was used to box games that seemed to always come with a manual to get you going. Just my 2 cents.
Used to fly as Halo46, GRHalo, Hobo and Punk at the end.

Offline DeadStik

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 04:28:43 PM »
Really the game needs a step by step tutorial if it wants to be newb friendly. Some people are jumping in with no prior understanding of the fundamentals of flight because previous arcade games have spoiled their sense of what flying really is. If they can’t figure out how to take off, they’re in for a world of pain when they finally do figure it and get nuked by even a marginally better player.

This game has a serious learning curve. Never mind aircraft control. What about situational awareness? How about the ballistic properties of your armament? It takes time.

An in depth voiced tutorial could mitigate these things a bit, but that’s a lot of work to implement. The folks who have the patience to prevail and overcome the learning curve are the ones AH will win over. An auto throttle takeoff might get them in the air, but then the frustration of stalling your plane into the trees and missing every shot will be the true deciding factor in whether people have the drive to keep at it or throw in the towel.

Not that I think the autothrottle idea is bad. I just don’t think it will do much to curb the problem of the learning curve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dedstick