Author Topic: Bullet Sponge - Friendly Fire Setting Wish  (Read 554 times)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Bullet Sponge - Friendly Fire Setting Wish
« on: February 18, 2017, 11:23:11 PM »
Please add a setting in Killshooter that allows friendly planes to not be damaged by friendly fire without damaging yourself.

OR -

Make it so bomber guns can not kill other friendlies.

---

The issue is that when you have large, tight formations of bombers, the gunners on the number 2 and 3 ships shoot through other bombers and when killshooter is off (In Special Events) then you have losses from automatically aimed guns you can't control. So while your shooting on the incoming Fw 190 in bomber 1, bomber 2 is shooting right through your wingman causing him damage or killing him.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 11:26:36 PM by Nefarious »
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Bullet Sponge - Friendly Fire Setting Wish
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 10:38:34 PM »
<Punt>
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 01:48:43 AM »
I can only say, excellent wish.

+1

DutchVII
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 08:50:27 AM »
Please add a setting in Killshooter that allows friendly planes to not be damaged by friendly fire without damaging yourself.

OR -

Make it so bomber guns can not kill other friendlies.

---

The issue is that when you have large, tight formations of bombers, the gunners on the number 2 and 3 ships shoot through other bombers and when killshooter is off (In Special Events) then you have losses from automatically aimed guns you can't control. So while your shooting on the incoming Fw 190 in bomber 1, bomber 2 is shooting right through your wingman causing him damage or killing him.

Being devils advocate here - how is that any different than the problem real bomber gunners faced in formation flying during WWII?
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 10:17:15 AM »

Absolutely not.  This is a big part of the game that mimics real life. 

While I'm defending a bomber, I must make sure I don't kill shoot myself especially when he's close up to the buffs six.  I've got to hold my fire for a few seconds and wait for him to complete his pass before I can begin firing on the interceptor again.  All part of the immersion, I wouldn't want to lose it.

Buffs need to work within those same constraints and not fire on me or fire on each other.  This requested change would take away from the game, not add.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 10:42:17 AM »
In my mind this is the same reason why I think man guns should have kill shooter as well...gunners are not afraid of shooting their friendly fighter who is also engaged.

DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 11:14:44 AM »
Being devils advocate here - how is that any different than the problem real bomber gunners faced in formation flying during WWII?

Real bomber gunners did not have AI drones which had AI gunners which auto fired when the the human controlled gunner shot.

The issue is this: When bombers are tight packed as they were historically, the AI bomber guns do not cease fire when friendly bombers are obstructing their line of sight. The Guns automatically fire when the human controlled gun fires on a clean shot.

So, while your shooting a Fw 190 on a clear shot from your lead bomber, your guns in bombers 2 and 3 are sometimes shooting into other bombers drones or lead ship. That's not realistic.

Right now, rear guns go safe when they pass along structures of the aircraft. It would be nice if AI guns on #2 and #3 bombers would do the same over friendly aircraft or drones.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 11:22:28 AM »
Real bomber gunners did not have AI drones which had AI gunners which auto fired when the the human controlled gunner shot.

The issue is this: When bombers are tight packed as they were historically, the AI bomber guns do not cease fire when friendly bombers are obstructing their line of sight. The Guns automatically fire when the human controlled gun fires on a clean shot.

So, while your shooting a Fw 190 on a clear shot from your lead bomber, your guns in bombers 2 and 3 are sometimes shooting into other bombers drones or lead ship. That's not realistic.

Right now, rear guns go safe when they pass along structures of the aircraft. It would be nice if AI guns on #2 and #3 bombers would do the same over friendly aircraft or drones.
I'd rather see it work the same as when a gun moves out of range it just doesn't fire....so if an AI gun is firing and it points at a friendly's hit box it stops firing...but if the gunner himself is shooting close enough to a friendly to possibly hit them too(which people do all the time)...they deserve the damage from friendly fire.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 12:01:27 PM »
You can selectively fire just the gun you're in, or utilize the other gunners (including drones).  I believe the F and B key respectively on the keyboard...   :old:
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 01:03:22 PM »
You can selectively fire just the gun you're in, or utilize the other gunners (including drones).  I believe the F and B key respectively on the keyboard...   :old:

Thank you. I'll try it out.

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 03:52:30 PM »
I probably have misread the wish. I thought it was that the drones would not damage any friendly's cause you have very little control over them. The guns on the plane your firing from would do dmg.

Dam Dyslectica   :uhoh

DuthVII
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.