Author Topic: intel NUC  (Read 701 times)

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
intel NUC
« on: February 05, 2018, 05:29:33 PM »
Howdy gang  :salute i was wondering if anyone had played around with one. I am looking into a build for work, space is limited on the work surface of my toolbox. Will only be running Windows 10 pro, Internet Explorer, I know.... I know IE stinks but it is the only thing that runs the Ford site and will also be running an electronic Repair order software. They look like they will do the job for me, just dont know how they perform or how they hold up in the heat.

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
Re: intel NUC
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 05:58:30 AM »
I used to have one, it was reliable and very portable. The latest versions can be quite powerful (i7 version).

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 06:18:02 PM »
I use them for VM servers for years. My rack is in my garage and regularly gets hot as the afternoon sun swings around (maybe 90f?).

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 07:35:03 PM »
Thanks Guys  :salute  Heat may be an issue it gets to over 110 sometimes, got a cool snap on fan I can use to cool it off some I guess.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 01:38:27 AM »
For fighting heat, make sure that there's plenty of air all around the NUC. Adhesive bumpons in the bottom for added airflow can work wonders as well as a dedicated small shelf (sold for flowers etc.) on the wall just for it, eliminating it being buried under a pile of "important" documents.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 04:37:20 PM »
The fans have proven to the the weak link for life span.

If you're not needing a powerful processor, there are models using heat sinks with a lower power processor that are great.

The ones with fans don't fare too well in our toyota dealership shop.

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 06:54:16 PM »
The fans have proven to the the weak link for life span.

If you're not needing a powerful processor, there are models using heat sinks with a lower power processor that are great.

The ones with fans don't fare too well in our toyota dealership shop.

Thanks, they come with a 3 year warranty, my luck 3 years and one day it will crap out  :furious

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 08:00:47 AM »
Icepac, just out of curiosity: How clean is your shop? I don't talk about normal tidyness, I'm rather thinking about greasy dust flying in the air and accumulating on the fans. There's an automotive paint shop whose old rigs came to me for potential reuse. Although their shop is clean enough to safely have a cup of coffee with some cookies, available all day long, the computers were junk. Just thinking...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 06:01:18 PM »
I just almost punched a chump for spraying air into rear brakes when he "cleaned and adjusted" them.

Before that, he did an "injection service and induction service" simultaneously without using the suction hose.

I'm guessing it's time to leave this place.