Author Topic: Need help with Windows  (Read 1371 times)

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
Need help with Windows
« on: April 03, 2018, 10:12:36 AM »
I'm a Mac guy so I don't know poo about computers.

I run Windows via bootcamp on my Mac.  Today Windows will not start.  When I attempt to work in Windows it will say "Starting Auto Repair", I then get a screen with options to "continue to Window" or "shutdown" or "troubleshoot".  When I try to continue to Windows I get a black screen and nothing seems to be happening...I waited thru two cups of coffee and still black screen with no activity from the computer.

Isn't that a way to start Windows in safe mode or something like that?

Thanks in advance
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Need help with Windows
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 10:17:21 AM »
Tap the "F8" key, about once a second after you start to try and boot Windows.  It will cause Windows to start in safe mode.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 10:26:45 AM »
Thank you
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 10:54:47 AM »
Tired the F8 key....went to a spinning working thing forever.  Perhaps I'll just reinstall windows.  It seems as if something is hanging up preventing Windows from running.
Columbo

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 10:57:37 AM »
Safe mode booting takes a while as Windows is replacing all the drivers with default drivers and using a clean registry, along with a melee of other things.  If you are still getting hard drive activity, while trying to boot, then let it run.

Could be you have a corrupted Windows installation.  How that happened is the question.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 12:36:53 PM »
Tap the "F8" key, about once a second after you start to try and boot Windows.  It will cause Windows to start in safe mode.
Huh? I thought the F8 boot menu thing stopped working after Windows later than 7.

Since we're talking about a Mac and Bootcamp, I'm not 100% positive about the results, but you may give it a try: If you get to the options screen, choose "troubleshoot". From there you should be able to navigate through various menus as described in https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10. Note that you may have to use instructions from several methods as some of them only give you a starting point. Method 2 starting from the blue screens is the way to do it, to get to that point you may have to try Method 5 to start with. Obviously you have access to a Windows installation media. The version doesn't matter for repairing, even Win8 might do.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 01:33:22 PM »
Windows 7 still used F8 to get to "safe mode".

It should work on Apple just like it does on regular PC's as once the boot loader is done is when things separate from bootcamp.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 07:22:53 PM »
I have Windows 8.1.  Back home now, been to the gun store so was distracted. :D
Columbo

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 07:49:54 PM »
I never had Windows 8, or 8.1. On Windows 10 if you cannot start Windows and you try twice in a row, it will then go to the recovery options. From there the advanced recovery options will off safe mode.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 01:34:31 AM »
Windows 8.1 troubleshooting is pretty much similar to 10 so the advice I posted above is applicable. Including what Chalenge posted.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 11:21:10 AM »
It's fixed, not sure how. :)  Restarted and it popped up with "Auto Rebuild" or something like that.  I was patient and let it do it's thing and now working.

I think the origin was a game called Naval Action.  I lost mouse control while in that game, once Windows was working again and I opened Naval Action I had to re-download the game.

Thanks for the help gents.
Columbo