Author Topic: Looking for advice about road trip  (Read 1825 times)

Offline noman

• Copper Member
      • http://yahoo.com
Re: Looking for advice about road trip
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 07:31:58 AM »
So all desert?

I would say definitely don't hit Phoenix AZ in the middle of Summer, it can be absolutely scorching.
The other locations shouldn't be too bad in the summer but Phoenix is pretty hot.
You might look at Sedona, AZ if there's nothing specific to Phoenix. It's a couple hours north of Phoenix.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sedona+arizona&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjI6rPLy_PYAhUr34MKHdsuBG4Q_AUICygC&biw=1459&bih=835

I agree go to Sedona and go to Red Rock Park and go swimming and hiking. Much nicer and Sedona is a beautiful place one of my favorite places to go when I visit family. Also Prescott is very nice.
Quote by Delirium:
Frankly, I'd rather be a fluffer at a gay porcupine film company than be a CM.
God bless the CMs for putting up with this community.
Sic Pups        MA
412th FNVG   FSO

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 05:29:02 PM »
For the same reason (maybe we're some kind of masochists), we don't mind to experience the heat of places like Phoenix... for a limited time at least ;)

Please be careful, especially with a child.  The heat and dryness in places like that can be extreme enough to cause heat stroke and dehydration very quickly.  Once in a while, European families on vacation die in US deserts not knowing how quickly things can get dangerous.

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 05:35:34 PM »
Starting in the north be sure to visit Glacier National Park.  One of the most beautiful places I've ever seen and not too far from ID.

I grew up an hour from the park and could see the gun sights out of my window on a clear day.  It's an amazingly beautiful park.

I live in CA now, but will be flying back up to MT this summer and bringing the woman so she can check it out.  Going to the Sun Highway is a modern engineering marvel, and quite the views.

You can also stop at Lake Macdonald, awesomely clear beautiful lake glaciers, all that good stuff.  It's about 8 hours or so from the Boise area, so it might be a bit of a drive to get up there, but definitely worth it.  Yellowstone would probably be closer to where you're going to be at.  I've actually never been there...
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2018, 11:24:56 AM »
Walking up to the edge of the Grand Canyon and looking at it in person for the first time was truly awe inspiring. It was the most visually awe inspiring thing I have ever seen.

Bryce Canyon is is also worth visiting.

The grand canyon is Awesome defined.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2018, 10:38:18 AM »
Hi there,

Thanks again for all the advices and recommendations: we had a tremendous holiday!

We visited:
Birds of prey world center in Boise
Snake river canyons and Shoshone Falls in Twin Falls
Flaming Gorge on Green River in WY
Dinosaur Monument Valley in Vernal UT
Harper's Corner and Colorado Monument in CO
Arches Park and Canyonlands in Moab
Grand Canyon
Sedona

Lots of awesome hikes and we rented a jeep in Moab for 1 day, which allowed us to go see stuff only accessible by trails and get away from the crowd.

As we are waiting for our return flight in PHX, I wanted to say that your country is truly beautiful.

Thanks again!

PS: and you were right, the heat in Phoenix is brutal ;) :)
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2018, 11:42:59 AM »
My brother shipped his jeep up there to do Moab. They have been gone for a week and a half. They are supposed to get back in town late today.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)