Author Topic: Dot-command to set formation distance  (Read 644 times)

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
Dot-command to set formation distance
« on: August 23, 2018, 01:13:38 PM »
With AH3 the Ju88 has been nerfed in the role as a hangar killer. In AH2 the formation was much closer together, so a single (tripple) 500 kg drop would reliably take down a hangar. Or 7 (some say 6) 50 kg. In AH3, killing hangars no longer works - it needs 2 (6) 500 kgs, and 9 50kgs don't do it reliably (maybe 10 would - but there's only 18 now since the latest update). Down from 7 (under optimal conditions) to 4 (with quick fingers releasing 500 kg and a couple 50 kg per hangar). Town-killing capabiliity has been increased though, but there's many other bombers that work nicely in that role.

Despite the new model, it might see much lower usage. I known I'm flying it much less at least.

I wish there was a dot-command to set the formation distance, to set it properly for the mission. Even as a tower-based setting like conversion it would be great, it doesn't need to be in-flight changeable like salvo/delay.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
Re: Dot-command to set formation distance
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 02:00:47 PM »
That is something that Warbirds had.  It was handy for as you describe to set mission specific formations....the formation could be set as well.

The downside is the need to be limitations on formation distance.  Some of the dweebery that was seen was very short formation distance which had all airplanes in one spot or extremely wide formations.

+1 in general as long as the formations and distances are kept to realistic/historic configurations regardless if it fits the AH mission need.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 05:38:41 PM »
I'd love to be able to change formation.  .echelon left high  .lineastern .lineabreast  etc.

:aok
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 08:43:33 PM »
That is something that Warbirds had.  It was handy for as you describe to set mission specific formations....the formation could be set as well.

The downside is the need to be limitations on formation distance.  Some of the dweebery that was seen was very short formation distance which had all airplanes in one spot or extremely wide formations.

+1 in general as long as the formations and distances are kept to realistic/historic configurations regardless if it fits the AH mission need.

+1
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)