Author Topic: Maj. Gerald E. Montgomery - P-51D "Sizzlin' Liz" (QP*H) - 4th FG, 334th FS  (Read 764 times)

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
P-51D-15-NA, s/n 44-15326
"Sizzlin' Liz" - QP*H
Maj. Gerald Emerson Montgomery
4th Fighter Group, 334th Fighter Squadron
Debden, 1945

Major Montgomery was a native of Dallas, Texas, when he entered the Air Corps. He was assigned to the 4th Fighter Group, 334th Squadron on 15 May 1943 and remained with that unit until the end of hostilities. At the completion of his first tour he had destroyed 11 enemy aircraft. His first plane, a P-47 Thunderbolt, was named "Texas". For his second tour he was assigned a P-51 Mustang, which he named "Sizzlin Liz" (one of three aircraft to bear this name). He was quicklyassigned as Squadron Operations Officer where he continued to take a toll on enemy aircraft having 14.5 to his credit when the war ended.

He is believed to have been killed in action during the Korean War while flying F-84E Thunderjets out as Deputy Wing Commander 136th FBW based at Taegu Airfield (K-2) S. Korea. He was flying F-84E s/n 50-1169 when he was shot down by flak over N.Korea on March 3, 1952.   He was last seen standing in shallow water near his chute waving his arms and was listed as Missing In Action until May 2004 when he was declared Killed In Action.   A grave marker in his name was placed in Arlington National Cemetery with full military honours and a fly-by.

___

Originally skinned by Fencer, it appears to have been either a composite of Montgomery's Mustangs or an earlier version of this one.  I have found multiple photos (including one in color) that show the airplane as depicted here, with the large version of the red cowling paint and no invasion stripes.

I have attempted to make this skin compatible with reflections.  This comes at a cost when flown with reflections disabled, but is the best compromise I could achieve for now.  I will revisit this problem later.   Thanks to Rebel28 for mentioning the issue in regard to another skin.

:salute

I'm hosting these first two images offsite to see if it looks better.  Click the thumbnails to view.

You can see the compression issues I am having.  The first image below is hosted offsite, the second on the BBS.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 04:12:19 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Maj. Gerald E. Montgomery - P-51D "Sizzlin' Liz" (QP*H) - 4th FG, 334th FS
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 03:46:27 PM »
 :aok

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 05:19:37 PM »
Very nice.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 07:18:14 PM »
Thank you guys.
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 03:38:09 AM »
That's a good looking skin Vraciu.

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 04:11:30 AM »
Nice one V. :aok
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 09:12:16 AM »
Thanks gentlemen.   A few more tweaks then I will submit it (I increased the height of the serial number on the tail for example).   :salute
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 09:15:38 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline Rebel28

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 08:00:14 PM »
Looking good. This is my go to skin I am looking forward to taking it out for a few. I like the bright red it lets them know you are coming... :)

Nice job....
4th Fighter Group
~ The Gunslingers ~

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 09:08:02 PM »
Looking good. This is my go to skin I am looking forward to taking it out for a few. I like the bright red it lets them know you are coming... :)

Nice job....

Thanks, man.   You deserve a pat on the back for your help in getting it fixed up.  Feedback after you roll with it is appreciated in advance.    :salute
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -