Author Topic: In the Thick of It  (Read 654 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
In the Thick of It
« on: December 20, 2018, 05:33:11 PM »
A pair of Navy T-2 Buckeyes flying an instrument approach in challenging weather conditions. Military pilots are trained to fly formation approaches for just such an occurance.

We flew many instrument approaches in similar conditions, especially during the winter months, at Minot AFB, ND in our squadron F-106s and T-33s.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: In the Thick of It
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 09:15:01 PM »
A pair of Navy T-2 Buckeyes flying an instrument approach in challenging weather conditions. Military pilots are trained to fly formation approaches for just such an occurance.

So what is the wingman looking at?  His ILS needles, or the leader?

- oldman

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 09:39:40 PM »

So what is the wingman looking at?  His ILS needles, or the leader?

- oldman

The wingman is flying in reference to specific points on lead’s aircraft and only takes very quick glances at his instrument panel.  The thicker the weather, the less the wingman’s eyes come off the lead aircraft.  Ideally, the wingman has his radios/nav gear set as a backup in case of losing sight of lead.  Lead flys the approach and the wingman is holding on in formation.

The risk, is losing sight of lead and going lost wingman in the weather.  There are specific procedures for each member of the flight if that should happen, to ensure no one bumps into another jet.  So, it imperative to hold on to the references, even in bumpy air.  Each aircraft has specified reference points for flying in fingertip position.  In the F-4, forward nav light in the center of the fuselage star emblem.  In the T-33, nav light on the star.  In thick clouds, we would slide back and use the aft point of the tip tank in the star.  This allowed us to tuck in even tighter without bumping lead.  This tight, the tip tanks were overlapping laterally but, had fore/aft clearance.

Being proficient in formation was critical in case there was an aircraft malfunction that disabled instruments or radios.  I flew a T-33 from K.I. Sawyer AFB to Colorado Springs on my flight commander’s wing one winter night in the weather enroute and for an instrument approach due to a failed inverter that couldn’t be repaired.  My jet had no navigation instruments and only the UHF radio operable.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:46:36 PM by Puma44 »

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 11:10:50 PM »
Being proficient in formation was critical in case there was an aircraft malfunction that disabled instruments or radios.  I flew a T-33 from K.I. Sawyer AFB to Colorado Springs on my flight commander’s wing one winter night in the weather enroute and for an instrument approach due to a failed inverter that couldn’t be repaired.  My jet had no navigation instruments and only the UHF radio operable.

How bout' that Pucker Factor?

...lol just messing

Thanks for the Memories of your's you share on these boards

Cheers

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 11:58:11 PM »
How bout' that Pucker Factor?

...lol just messing

Thanks for the Memories of your's you share on these boards

Cheers

TC

Oh, there was always some level of that floating about.  Just depended on the level of malfunction, severity of weather, fuel level, some other variation, or any combination of the above that would dictate the level on any given day, or dark of night.

Your welcome.  Glad to share.  👍

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 04:56:11 PM »
Heck,I hate driving...in fog. Being that you had to worry about more than just the road.."PUCKER" is an understatement,me thinks. Thanks for another Tale From The Flight Line :salute
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 08:38:12 PM »
Yeah, driving in the fog is so much more dangerous.  All sorts of things that go bump in the fog.  :uhoh