Author Topic: StarLink Beta testing begins  (Read 2728 times)

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
Re: StarLink Beta testing begins
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2020, 04:04:14 PM »
Update, just received the basic Starlink equipment today.  Unlike some my kit did not include the carrying pack and cable fasteners, not a big deal.  Simple setup.  I have snow on the roof, so my temporary setup  is in the bed of my pickup, where I've elevated the tripod a bit on  a couple of wheels.  I have some obstructions (trees).  So here are my initial results as compared to my Verizon 4G LTE:

Ping     Download     Upload

VZW            154         3.69            2.96

StarLink         24       170.03         12.01     :x
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 04:08:15 PM by DaddyAce »

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2020, 04:16:51 PM »

StarLink         24       170.03         12.01   

pretty good numbers. Is there a way to keep that puppy defrosted?   :D

Next, see how AH plays.  :cool:

:salute
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 04:19:49 PM by Mano »
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2020, 05:05:20 PM »
Update, just received the basic Starlink equipment today.  Unlike some my kit did not include the carrying pack and cable fasteners, not a big deal.  Simple setup.  I have snow on the roof, so my temporary setup  is in the bed of my pickup, where I've elevated the tripod a bit on  a couple of wheels.  I have some obstructions (trees).  So here are my initial results as compared to my Verizon 4G LTE:

Woot!

Need more sats!  I need this in the boonies of Tejas!
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2020, 05:39:34 PM »

Ahhh that's not 4G dude :) , it's more like a 3G speed. Even crappy 4G should be in the realm of 50Mbps-120Mbps with a 20-30ms ping.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2020, 06:30:54 PM »

pretty good numbers. Is there a way to keep that puppy defrosted?   :D

Next, see how AH plays.  :cool:

From what I've read on Reddit it  has enough heat to at least help defrost it, and that  ice & snow can degrade it some, but the degraded signal still seems superior to my verizon signal.

Will have to try it on AH soon, hopefully real soon....  :airplane:       :salute

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2020, 06:34:25 PM »
[....
Ahhh that's not 4G dude :) , it's more like a 3G speed. Even crappy 4G should be in the realm of 50Mbps-120Mbps with a 20-30ms ping.
[/quote]

Ahhh but the so called 3 G I had before was not nearly as good as my current "4G".  I think it is very much oversubscribed here, not to mention to even get a weak 4G signal I need an outside antenna on my roof with a signal booster.  Sometimes my 4G is better, but also sometimes it's much worse too.  :cheers:

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2020, 03:24:07 PM »
Update, based on my temporary pickup bed install.  Flew about 4 sorites in AH last night, had about 4 or so discoes....

With the Starlink included router I now have strong wifi in the entire house & garage of our 2400 sq ft home.  Did a bunch of speedtests on Oookla:

Ping       Download     Upload

Worst            103             33              10
Best               23             183             21.5

Things should improve when I get it on the roof, and as they continue to develop the system.  I'm very happy with it compared to anything else I've had at home.  Will try streaming some movies.   Am disappointed in the discoes, suspect that will improve, but if there is a consistent disco pattern that does not improve I can still use Verizon for AH.

In the past I've dreaded updating my GPS maps and try to save that for when I visit family with good internet.  Last night it was quick and easy on Starlink.

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2020, 09:49:21 PM »
Some mounting suggestions if you are still thinking about how you will secure the dish.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2020, 09:34:32 AM »
Some mounting suggestions if you are still thinking about how you will secure the dish.

Thank you for another helpful video Mano.   :salute

My volcano mount should arrive today.  My roof was clear of snow when I ordered my Starlink, so was able to install their app and explore my best mounting options.  In my case that appears to be on our roof, and I think the volcano mount will work well.   Unfortunately my set did not come with the carry case, but I'll figure something out.  I've packed a lot of big game animals out of the mountains over the years, getting the disk up on a one story roof shouldn't be much of a challenge.   My chosen mounting location is what I think is the best combination of minimal obstructions and hopefully enough protection from occasional violent winds.  Despite being an old guy :old: I'm comfortable working on my roof; about 5 years ago I reroofed this house with one of my sons.  Once I have the mount in hand, and see what actually comes in that package I'll determine what else I may need, work out the details of cable routing, and wait for the snow to clear off our roof and favorable weather to get it done.     :cheers:

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2020, 11:52:35 AM »
Update, Fedex delivered my "volcano" roof mount this AM, much sooner than the Starlink web site suggested.   The dish carry pack and cable fasteners were included with the mount; now just waiting for favorable conditions to get it on the roof.

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2020, 11:25:13 AM »
Snow storms  will decrease d/l speeds and increase latency numbers.....to be expected.

If the dish is completely covered in snow discos happen frequently. Maybe someone will come up with an inexpensive  way to keep the snow off of the dish.

In the video it appears to be a light snow fall. I have been in some heavy snow storms where I had to find a place and pull over because of visibility. I would like to see his numbers in heavy snow fall.

I would also like to see a comparison with legacy satellite internet providers during the same conditions.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2020, 12:56:46 PM »
Snow storms  will decrease d/l speeds and increase latency numbers.....to be expected.

If the dish is completely covered in snow discos happen frequently. Maybe someone will come up with an inexpensive  way to keep the snow off of the dish.

In the video it appears to be a light snow fall. I have been in some heavy snow storms where I had to find a place and pull over because of visibility. I would like to see his numbers in heavy snow fall.

I would also like to see a comparison with legacy satellite internet providers during the same conditions.

Dish heaters and snow covers are available online
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2020, 12:59:05 PM »
Dish heaters and snow covers are available online

Was just going to say. I have a heater that covers both my dishes...
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech