Author Topic: P-51d-lite  (Read 792 times)

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
P-51d-lite
« on: March 22, 2021, 06:52:29 AM »
Hello,

I had good results extending the idea of a P-51d-lite in recent days.  In 90% of my flights I was better able to fly 6-10k and tangle with planes co-alt rather than boom-n-zoom from orbit.  While you can't turn like a zero, the performance increase kept me in fights my skills usually negate me from.

Notes on this config here: http://oracledba.help/app/ww2planes/index.php?n=Site.Notes

As of this message I have a 16-2 kill\death ratio in this config (P-51d-lite). 

I'm gonna test the P-51b a bit in a similar way.  The "b" model in a lite config is not statistically different.  I'm really testing the "b" vs. the "d", i.e. "why dont you just fly a P-51b?!".  So far the stats seem to speak for themself.

Also note my call-sighn "X15".  I'm a test the possibilities nut!

Enjoy,

X15  :salute
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 07:05:19 AM by Slade »
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: P-51d-lite
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 07:37:06 AM »
So you're saying less weight gives better performance? Wow! Whodathunkit? I really should try that when I'm not climbing to 30k or flying halfway across the map! Thanks man!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 08:28:05 AM »
Thanks for sharing your info Slade.

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 08:44:52 AM »
Drano,

Thank you for the post.  I was trying to take your words and spin it to something that was positive and actionable.  Thus my post in the Wish forum.

Yes its obvious that a lighter plane can perform better.  I'm an Oracle database engineer though.  I wanted to test just how much in a very specific instance and share it as others might find it useful.

X15  :salute
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 09:14:25 AM »
You quoted me in another thread completely unrelated to this one and what you quoted has no context at all to that thread. I didn't wish for anything. If you wanted to know how much your plane weighed at a given config its right there on the floor of the hangar. Been there a while now. Wish granted. So there's that.

Food for thought. Filed under: it's not the plane, it's the pilot and this is the truth. You can try to jack up whatever plane you're flying however you might like. It will be your tactics and maneuvering vs that other guy's (or girl's) that will win or lose the day for you more than anything else. Keep that in mind. It's not a sterile plane x will always beat plane y because you have to factor in who's flying them both.

Like with an EM diagram. What you see there is useful info for sure. But look further into it and you'll find that diagram is for that specific plane at that also specific configuration for that plane. Fuel, load, flaps, speed of course, all play a part in the resulting diagram. Change one or more, the whole thing changes. How long can it sustain that particular envelope? Is it a momentary thing? How did it change vs the plane I'm flying against? All questions that need answers in real time that you don't have in combat. Guidelines at best are what you might want to have rolling around your head.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 11:03:28 AM »
I highly recommend keeping all the planes on the light side. 

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 01:07:33 PM »
Been flying the 47N. Its a huge difference in weight between 100% and 25% fuel.since it was built for extreme long ranges compared to the La7, yak3s or spits which don't exhibit thar much performance differences between fuel quantities.

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 01:38:31 PM »
Thanks again for your post.

Guidelines at best are what you might want to have rolling around your head.

Thats where science and data come in.  Its not for everyone.  While pilot skill is always the main factor in any engagement, some may find a 5-15% increase in getting shots you would not normally get than otherwise.

Countless ace's from WWI and WWII studied every aspect of theirs and opponents planes to gain micro advantages.  Fighter pilots today still use Oswald Boelcke Rules of Air Combat for instance.

Also, its fun stuff to know!  :salute

EDIT: Drano I'm not trying to be a jerk or come off as any know-it-all.  Sometimes in email\messages you can't see intent etc.  We are are brothers in this game man.  My post is\was just to share my findings.  :aok
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 01:51:28 PM by Slade »
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 02:45:20 PM »
Additionally, out in the real world a common saying is “Hamburger is Hamburger, no matter what you wrap it in”.

Less weight is always mo better in the phone booth.  :salute

« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 03:09:38 PM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 10:30:52 PM »
I love the pony, been flying it for years.  best laughs I get out of it is when I do the unexpected and bring a plane down.  like for example I was bnzing a spit, he would do the same thing evade pull up and try to get on my six, about the 4th time, I chopped throttle, did opposite rudder and started pulling flaps, spit had down the same thing pull back to my left go up, I caught him as he pulled up and took his wing off.  pretty sure he was wondering in the tower what happened.

do the unexpected, well it doesnt work all the time, but sometimes, people end up in the tower asking what happened?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.