Author Topic: TBM/Rockets  (Read 852 times)

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
TBM/Rockets
« on: October 01, 2021, 12:48:47 AM »
Buffs coming into the base, so I up 110 to go greet them. They turn around, I follow. They turn around again coming back to the base. I finally get an icon and its a TBM at about 9k I am at 6k. We are about 9k from the base when I see him fire rockets. He then rolls over and drops on me shooting me down. His rockets took out the radar at the base, 9k away!

Well that has to be a hack, right? Wrong, went off line, looked at the film and then tried it. I did the same thing by firing the rockets from the bombardiers position, worked every time.

1. Didn't know you could fire rockets from the position.
2. Didn't know the rockets had that kind if range.

:rolleyes:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
Re: TBM/Rockets
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 03:24:23 AM »
Buffs coming into the base, so I up 110 to go greet them. They turn around, I follow. They turn around again coming back to the base. I finally get an icon and its a TBM at about 9k I am at 6k. We are about 9k from the base when I see him fire rockets. He then rolls over and drops on me shooting me down. His rockets took out the radar at the base, 9k away!

Well that has to be a hack, right? Wrong, went off line, looked at the film and then tried it. I did the same thing by firing the rockets from the bombardiers position, worked every time.

Lots of things about this game are "questionable".  Not that they CAN"T HAPPEN (referring to accurate modeling), but is it a flaw in modeling that players are exploiting or are they just that good (even extremely lucky many many times)

- The old 88 shot at 100m
-Tanks shooting HE rounds into the ground exploding planes at low alt.

I highly doubt that someone defending Berlin would be firing their 88s on low flying aircraft. 
I also doubt tank commanders would ever use those defensive tactics or even qualify as viable as effective. If the blast radius can affect a plane even above tree level, it should affect the damage to the tank as well,( maybe blow out a track or two at minimum) .
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 03:50:44 AM by oTRALFZo »
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 08:27:00 AM »
All good points Tralfaz, don't have an answer for you. You have to admit though, taking out radar 9k out is pretty much stretching the possibilities. Even the B25H wont do that (I don't think, I'll have to ask Allison). The idea of main gunning an aircraft coming in low, is conceivable, and even splash kills as well. Now why the don't damage the tank would depend on how close to the the tank the HE round detonated.  :cheers:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 08:35:21 AM »
I've never shot rockets from a TBM and it's bombsite,

But I can deack a base from outside of ack range with the proper angle above the base.

I think the range on them is as far as you can lob them.

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 01:16:31 PM »
Good topic!

49erz used to run missions using this technique to bring down CV's. What you came across was an ancient legend hiding in plain sight. Nice to hear the old ways are not dead just yet.
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2021, 04:40:18 PM »
Shhhhush

Now the TBM will be tracking tanks and turretting Whirbs/Ostwinds at will with their rockets.

:bolt:
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2021, 08:08:26 AM »
Shhhhush

Now the TBM will be tracking tanks and turretting Whirbs/Ostwinds at will with their rockets.

:bolt:

:rofl :rofl
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2021, 09:30:12 AM »
5.5 miles is stretching reality IMO if it was nothing but a one time lucky shot

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2021, 09:45:23 AM »

The rocket engine burns out after a few seconds, but the rocket keeps going.  The V2 rocket engine boosted the rocket on its course, then the rocket would free fall to its target.  It had a rudimentary navigation system that would keep it on a certain compass heading. 

This pilot is essentially using the aircraft rockets the same way (except there is no nav system on the rockets).  This pilot has learned that at a certain height and speed, the rockets will go a certain distance before hitting the ground.  He's using the rockets as artillery shells.  Nothing gamey about that, just an unusual and unexpected tactic.  Tactics and technology are often developed by people thinking "What if...".
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 10:10:01 AM by Mongoose »
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2021, 09:58:20 AM »
Now as to whether the 75mm on the B25H could do the same?  Maybe.

I once asked Hitech about how bullets are modeled.  He stated that the goal is to model the flight characteristics of bullets as accurately as possible.  But the system stops tracking the bullet once the energy is expended.  This makes sense, since you don't need to spend all of that computing time tracking expended bullets as they fall to the ground.  The question is whether the 75mm fired from the B25H is tracked the same way.  Does the shell fly all the way to the ground, or does it disappear from the game as it falls?  A little testing might be in order.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2021, 10:04:37 AM »

-Tanks shooting HE rounds into the ground exploding planes at low alt.

I highly doubt that someone defending Berlin would be firing their 88s on low flying aircraft. 

Why not?  If you drop a bomb from an airplane, and are too close when it goes off, you can shoot yourself down with your own bomb.  There's no reason a plane flying low to the ground could not be taken out by an artillery shell going off nearby.  As to being able to do it on a regular basis, that would take a lot of practice, but no reason it wouldn't work in real life.

If the blast radius can affect a plane even above tree level, it should affect the damage to the tank as well,( maybe blow out a track or two at minimum)

Tanks are much tougher than airplanes.  You have to get pretty close to a tank to take out the track.  An airplane bends much easier, and if you throw enough junk into the air, you can put holes in essential parts.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 10:08:59 AM by Mongoose »
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2021, 08:12:26 AM »
Why not?  If you drop a bomb from an airplane, and are too close when it goes off, you can shoot yourself down with your own bomb.  There's no reason a plane flying low to the ground could not be taken out by an artillery shell going off nearby.  As to being able to do it on a regular basis, that would take a lot of practice, but no reason it wouldn't work in real life.

Tanks are much tougher than airplanes.  You have to get pretty close to a tank to take out the track.  An airplane bends much easier, and if you throw enough junk into the air, you can put holes in essential parts.

Apples to oranges (respectfully speaking). 1000lb bomb to a 15 lb shell. Of course there is a much greater blast radius. HE rounds into the ground affect aircraft well above tree top level. I am not complaining about it as I improved tactics on straffing tanks at a deeper angle. I just think its a real cheesy aspect of the game
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2021, 10:53:34 AM »

I have done this with a Squadie from the Muppets before. Couldn't believe it. Figured this dude had way too much time on his hands hahaha.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2021, 09:07:13 PM »

This TBM bombsite thing has been around for many years... but few knew about it. 

Thanks, now all the "Dweebs" how to do it.

CAV
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301