Author Topic: Project Hail Mary  (Read 409 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
Project Hail Mary
« on: October 05, 2022, 08:38:15 PM »
Just finished this on Audible.  I really liked it. It isn't Frank Herbert or Asimov, but it was really fun.

Style was similar to The Martian, which I also liked.  In fact the only criticism would be the main character in PHM was a little too much like the Watney character in TM.  But I think that is just Weir's snarky writing style.

It was kinda like a mashup of The Martian meets Rendezvous with Rama meets Interstellar.

If you want some lite sci-fi (but a fun adventure) this is worth the read or listen.

https://www.audible.com/pd/Project-Hail-Mary-Audiobook/B08G9PRS1K?ref=a_library_t_c5_libItem_B08G9PRS1K&pf_rd_p=80765e81-b10a-4f33-b1d3-ffb87793d047&pf_rd_r=7325X63PDHP2S7HA80NZ

(I've heard there is a movie in the works.)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 09:03:10 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: The Hail Mary Project
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2022, 08:58:49 PM »
Yes, this story is amazing and the narrator also does a superb job.

Excellent choice.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
Re: The Hail Mary Project
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2022, 09:01:45 PM »
Yes, this story is amazing and the narrator also does a superb job.

Excellent choice.

Fist my bump!

:cool:
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Re: Project Hail Mary
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2022, 02:30:46 AM »
I really liked this book on Audible as well and agree with everything the OP said. A film of it should work well, assuming the author keeps control of the script so the producers can't ruin it. If the film of "The Martian" is anything to go by, it should be great.

Another sci-fi book I have just listened to on Audible is Anathem by Neal Stephenson. While I enjoyed the story and the narration was good I'd recommend getting the paperback for this one due to the style in which it is written. There are lots of little explanatory notes between the chapters which I'd have liked to have been able to refer back to easily. This made the early chapters a little confusing and hard to get into. It is a very long book and it takes a while for the story to get going but once it does it is well worth the wait.