Author Topic: Oh dear!  (Read 659 times)

Offline Dantoo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.9giap.com
Oh dear!
« on: May 20, 2023, 12:14:18 AM »
 :salute

Can we check a few settings for this last frame:

No damage able to be dealt to B101.
All guns enabled and manned (inc 5 inch) B101.

IF this was intended, well um great!

If not, may I jump and suggest that frame officially end at 60 Mins? :airplane: :old:

(There may be some tempted to start a flame war here but let's not and just pretend we did).
I get really really tired of selective realism disguised as a desire to make bombers easier to kill.

HiTech

Matthew 24:28 For wherever the carcass is, there is where the vultures gather together.

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
Re: Oh dear!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2023, 07:38:12 AM »
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2023, 07:45:05 AM »
:salute

Can we check a few settings for this last frame:

No damage able to be dealt to B101.
All guns enabled and manned (inc 5 inch) B101.

IF this was intended, well um great!

If not, may I jump and suggest that frame officially end at 60 Mins? :airplane: :old:

(There may be some tempted to start a flame war here but let's not and just pretend we did).

Not sure why or how 101 was or could be indestructible. I don't believe it would be possible for 1 sides battleship fleet to be impervious to damage, while the other sides is. Hardness settings, which were default, span across all country's objects. So without some thorough testing, I am going to say this may be a terrain bug.

All guns were enabled. This was intentional. A few CMs suggested that the 5" be disabled in the week leading up to frame 3 after I had mentioned including PT boats. In the end, I didn't include PT boats and decided that I would leave the 5" enabled.

EDIT: Looking at Darkwoods image, it appears that Allied ship guns may not have been enabled at the start of Hour 2. If so, this was on accident. They should have been enabled. Was it corrected at all?

I flew 1 Ki-67 torpedo strike sortie in Hour 2 and logged after I died so I didn't stick around past 12:20ish or so.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 07:47:44 AM by Nefarious »
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2023, 10:53:43 AM »
I was over both fleets for most of the second hour and never saw the allied ships guns fire beyond basic ack.

I did see bomb splashes that looked like they went through the bow and the rear guns of the axis BB with no recorded damage to it. It was really odd, I'm going to check my recorded vid and see if it shows what happened.

If 5 inchers are going to be enabled in the future I would suggest nerfing them a bit. I saw a bunch of aircraft insta killed in one shot from a decent ways out, including myself. No other ack firing, no missed shots, just a single shell and poof. Guys are just too good in them.

I like the idea of supporting a battleship duel in the second hour,  I think it just needs a couple tweaks. And less weird stuff going on.
Ingame : AKRocco

Arabian Knights

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2023, 04:48:32 PM »

EDIT: Looking at Darkwoods image, it appears that Allied ship guns may not have been enabled at the start of Hour 2. If so, this was on accident. They should have been enabled. Was it corrected at all?

The allied guns were never enabled.
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2023, 04:53:16 PM »
Well that explains why several Axis guys were asking why the Allied BB never fired it's guns.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Dantoo

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2023, 09:23:04 PM »
B101 was impervious to damage.  Fact!

I bombed it twice.  Nothing registered.  Others reported the same.  I can't offer a reason but that is because I know crap-all about settings.

Easy to check.  Search Logs using 101 as the search term.  All those bombs dropped and guns fired and how much damage was done?

As for the guns thing, where exactly in the objectives does it mention that guns will be active and mannable?  This is such a rare event in FSO (like I can remember maybe once in the last decade and maybe twice in the preceding) that it should be highlighted in BOLD!

I am not out to start a flame war or point fingers. 
It is necessary to learn from what didn't work and get it sorted for a bold and interesting future.

I get really really tired of selective realism disguised as a desire to make bombers easier to kill.

HiTech

Matthew 24:28 For wherever the carcass is, there is where the vultures gather together.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2023, 09:28:07 PM »
IIRC the Battle ship takes 14k of bombs to sink it. Also new maps, again as I recall, the BB guns do not default to enabled.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Dantoo

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2023, 10:06:33 PM »
It took NO DAMAGE not just didn't sink.

https://ibb.co/54FnykS

I tried to insert a pic of me bombing it yesterday but not a lot of luck.  So included a link to a IBB upload of it.
Now if I can shrink it a little...

That's 9K of hurt right there.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 10:31:02 PM by Dantoo »

HiTech

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2023, 10:08:02 PM »
B101 was impervious to damage.  Fact!

I bombed it twice.  Nothing registered.  Others reported the same.  I can't offer a reason but that is because I know crap-all about settings.

Easy to check.  Search Logs using 101 as the search term.  All those bombs dropped and guns fired and how much damage was done?

As for the guns thing, where exactly in the objectives does it mention that guns will be active and mannable?  This is such a rare event in FSO (like I can remember maybe once in the last decade and maybe twice in the preceding) that it should be highlighted in BOLD!

I am not out to start a flame war or point fingers. 
It is necessary to learn from what didn't work and get it sorted for a bold and interesting future.

I think you may be right, in one of the oddest bugs I've ever seen. Hopped into SEA1 just now and tried to bomb B101 with B29s, no damage. Took a 234, no damage. Brought a BB up beside it and the 16" rounds just went right through it.

Just tried to bomb B98 (same side) and took damage like normal. Definitely a bug with B101.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 10:22:03 PM by Spikes »
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2023, 06:49:32 AM »

From the Objectives:

BATTLESHIP FIGHT - SHIP GUNS ENABLED

The following objectives must be Attacked by the Allies (USAAF/USMC) and Defended by the Axis (IJN/IJAAF):

B101 - (13.09.01) - BATTLESHIP GROUP

The following objectives must be Attacked by the Axis (IJN/IJAAF) and Defended by the Allies (USAAF/USMC):

B102 - (13.08.09) - BATTLESHIP GROUP
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Dantoo

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2023, 07:50:54 AM »
I went through that sheet 4 times without seeing it.  I guess my eyes slipped over it as it was in same font and bold as the line above and lazy eyes just didn't focus on it.

I presume something similar happened with the CIC as there is a complete absence of mention in the orders.  At least make it RED next time (please don't do this for another decade).

HiTech

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2023, 07:56:06 AM »
(please don't do this for another decade).

I don't think you'll have to worry about that.

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2023, 05:13:35 PM »
That made the second hour worthwhile having a Battleship fight.

CO--The Bad Guys