Author Topic: Cassius Clay  (Read 324 times)

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
Cassius Clay
« on: July 05, 2023, 09:32:24 AM »
In 1964 I was a junior in High School. It wasn't the biggest bet I ever made but I bet $20 on Clay! Everybody knew that Liston was going to win! The world of boxing was a brighter place when Clay "later Ali" fought. I saw a you tube video last night where another boxer told "Ali" he was going to knock him out. Ali made him repeat it. He did knock Ali down but he got up ,danced around and won with a knock out! I really liked his style but he paid a terrible price for all those hits.

RIP "Ali" The Greatest
AkCaine

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
Re: Cassius Clay
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 06:54:34 PM »
How much did you make on the 20 dollar bet?

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2023, 07:43:42 AM »
20=20 :banana: :banana:
AkCaine

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2023, 08:38:14 AM »
Marvelous Marvin Hagler, Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas "The Hitman" Hearns and "Hands of Stone" Roberto Duran all staged major fights against each other between welterweight and middleweight.
Evander, Tyson, Homes, Morrison, Frazer.

The Golden age...
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2023, 10:06:32 AM »
PPV Tyson and the 1st MMA fights made for interesting times in the beginning days of two-way addressable set top technology

They made so much $$$ from those we had cable techs on OT stationed around town to limit any major cable outages..it was pre fiber and only coaxial systems went down with every weather change..

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2023, 11:47:30 AM »
PPV Tyson and the 1st MMA fights made for interesting times in the beginning days of two-way addressable set top technology

They made so much $$$ from those we had cable techs on OT stationed around town to limit any major cable outages..it was pre fiber and only coaxial systems went down with every weather change..

Eagler

Those were the days!

Used to have 30-40 people over at my house for those early MMA and Tyson fights. I'd make burritos. We'd bet on which round Tyson would knock the other guy out.

Back when Ultimate Fighting had no rules (except eye gouging and maybe mouth hoking) and NO weight divisions. It was Thunderdome! Usually the karate guys would get their arse kicked instantly.
Tank Abbot.
Then Gracie came in and no one could beat that guy.

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2023, 12:26:40 PM »
Had a house full for the Tyson fights !! So many GREAT fights back in the day.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2023, 05:49:19 AM »
Problem with Tyson fights is they were over before they started..made for expensive PPV minutes back in the day

He was a great fighter to watch before he lost his sheet and started eating his opponents ears...

:cheers:

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals