Author Topic: PBY in Aces High: what could have been  (Read 245 times)

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
PBY in Aces High: what could have been
« on: September 03, 2024, 06:01:59 PM »
The main aircraft I wanted to see in Aces High was the P-40B/C, and I flew it quite a bit when it was originally released.
But two other aircraft I always wanted to see in Aces High were the P-61 Black Widow and the PBY Catalina.

This War Thunder video provides a glimpse of what could have been with the PBY:
https://youtube.com/shorts/SOrxPWUK3z8?si=28DNdYdok9dSFRnG
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: PBY in Aces High: what could have been
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2024, 09:52:13 PM »
With the exceptions of the night torpedo attack at Midway, Mad Jack Cram's torpedo attack at Guadalcanal, the dive-bombing at Kiska, and the anti-U-boat operations in the Atlantic, I can't think of an instance where PBYs acted as combat aircraft.  Certainly nothing like that video. 

The PBY problem in AH has been two-fold:  How can you land on the water, and what is the PBY good for if not as a bomber?  Over the years people came up with imaginative answers, but HiTech never solved (tried to solve?) the water question, and no one wanted to fly scouting or rescue missions.

Historically it was a vital plane, though, so I'm with you on wishing there were some way to use it here.

- oldman

Offline Molsman

• Aces High CM Retired
  • Platinum Member
Re: PBY in Aces High: what could have been
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2024, 11:16:45 PM »
The main aircraft I wanted to see in Aces High was the P-40B/C, and I flew it quite a bit when it was originally released.
But two other aircraft I always wanted to see in Aces High were the P-61 Black Widow and the PBY Catalina.

This War Thunder video provides a glimpse of what could have been with the PBY:
https://youtube.com/shorts/SOrxPWUK3z8?si=28DNdYdok9dSFRnG

I agree with ya the pby is fun to fly andthe same with the p61, I spent 7 years over there ins WT, but ya have to remember all the objects are hard here including the water when ya crash and dont sink, yet ya can use pt boats here. Also with GV's in the war ya could run over small brush  and trees. Unlike here. These were topics brought up alot like OldMan mentioned but nothing ever happened.
Molsman, Crazy8s , Crazyman
JG11, DerWanderZirkus, -The Flying Clowns-
               Wait n Bleed