Author Topic: Bombing and taking a city  (Read 346 times)

Offline Artix

• Zinc Member
Bombing and taking a city
« on: March 06, 2002, 11:19:43 AM »
Hello all,
    A few friends and I have paid up and now are full time members of Aces High! Woohooo!

We have the most fun when we are bombing and trying to take down cities.

My question is this...

If you had 3-4 people all on RW, what type of fighters/bombers and how many would you launch to try and take a city? In other words, would you take 3 B17s and a C-47? 1 B17, 1 B26 a fighter and a C-47? Just looking for some ideas.

Thanks

Artix

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2002, 11:33:50 AM »
Hiyas Artix,

Welcome to the AH Family! :)

1 B17 can take down a town alone with 250 pound bombs (and maybe even 500 lb bombs).  1 B26 might can take down a town alone with 250 lb bombs.  If you are wanting to capture a field ... and wanting to use bombers to do it ... you gotta drop the hangers at the field as well.  So, each hangers takes 3K to destroy.  At a medium field, there are 4 FH and 1 VH I think?  So thats 15K of ord you need = 3 B17s.  Figure 1 more B17 for the town, and a goon.  So a total of 4 B17s and 1 C47 would be a good capture gruop.  However, keep in mind that IL2s and TBMs (B26s etc) can up with BH up to kill the goon.  Always nice to have 1 or 2 fighters to tag along with ya.

Hope this helps, shoot me an email if you have more questions, nimitz@huckabay.net

Nim

Offline maddog1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2002, 06:13:16 PM »
What most forget is to kill the vh first.... otherwise there are always lots of those nasty crawing things riuning the fun....

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2002, 02:41:38 AM »
Originally posted by maddog1
What most forget is to kill the vh first.... otherwise there are always lots of those nasty crawing things riuning the fun....
Muahahahahahahaha!  I do love it when the VH is left up at a field under heavy attack.....  :p
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2002, 05:47:07 AM »
I've recently seen the rooks make many, many attempts to "sneak" fields. (but I imagine all sides do it).

That's where you flatten the town only, and hope to get a goon in before any one notices. They do it for three reasons: It's quick, it doesn't take too many people, and the freshly captured field is relatively undamaged and therefore immeadiatly useable.

It's also really, really dumb.

Because it rarely works.

you can see them three hours later, trying to sneak goon# 47 into the town, while fighters are still upping from the untouched FH's, TBM's are coming up from the untouched BH's with full load out's from the untouched ammo to kill your GV's and thier GV's from the untouched VH are massacreing the drunks.

I imagine they're the same people who used to endlessly squeak about carbombers and refuse to take down the BH's.

There remains only one sure way to take a base: Flatten it. All of it.

The mission members score more points, get more done and are more successfull.

The gooney pilots get to make an extra high point scoring re supply run while the "snatch team" prep the next field.

The fight keeps moving, and even the defenders have better quality fights, rather than the endless vulch/prox kill cycle.

The correct procedure is (IMHO):

1) De-ack

2) VH

3) FH

4) BH

While heavy Jabo's proceed with 2,3 & 4; those Jabo's who have already dropped can strafe and kill fuel, ammo and barracks. If they've scored the flight correctly, this pays quite well in terms of gunnery accuracy %.

Should the capture fail, the field is seriously disabled. Should it succeed; a gooney soon brings it back up.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2002, 10:30:11 AM »
Correct order IMO is +)

VH!!  

If you start deacking first especially with fighters, a swarm of GV's will appear.  If you are a lone hi buff this is not such an issue.

deack

town (early is good, sloow rebuild)

FH

VH

Deack

my thots +)

SKurj

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2002, 04:27:14 PM »
Artix

If you want to hit a town to capture a base follow the advice you already got.

If you want to hit a city marked by a C or star on the map they
can't be captured so just use bombers.

If you want to hit a Depot city try 3 B-17's and a C-47. Hit the acks first then bomb and strafe the buildings. depots regenerate quickly so have the C-47 nearby. It's best to do it all in one trip. You might try using a different bomber or attack plane for each mission to find out which you prefer flying.

--)-FLS----
Musketeers