Author Topic: expert pilots feel that too?  (Read 606 times)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
expert pilots feel that too?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2000, 12:31:00 AM »
Main seldom brings that level of intensity out for me. H2H will always raise it the first few sorties when I'm really unsure of the outcome. If he's pasting me, np, If I'm pasting him, np.

Its the suspense that gets ya.That and fights that spiral from 10k down to the deck, twisting turning, swapping advantage back and forth. Snapshots rattling like hail on your cockpit sending spears of fear through your veins.

2 or 3 of those & I'm ready for a hot shower & a long cold drink. Worn out body & soul.

funked

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2000, 12:31:00 AM »
Oh yeah I also get it when dueling DMF.  Actually I told him I will never duel him again because it will kill me.

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2000, 03:01:00 AM »
I hear ya, Ghosth.  Had a fight just like that this morning while flying with you.  It was that Yak that showed up.  Fight went from 12k(?) to the deck, ending up in flat scissors.  When I put that last burst into him, we were so close I thought it was going to be a collision, for sure.  Once he went into the ground I took a quick, nervous look around for bandits, then rtb'ed on the deck.  By the time I reached A9 my nerves had calmed  
ingame: Raz

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2000, 05:40:00 AM »
Funny thing is that when i get it from the start of a sortie i'll a) get shot down or b) RTB with no damage inflicted or C) RTB on 1/2  a wing and have no kill under my hilt

So basically i only succeed if i can keep my calm  

But then OTOH when i kept calm and killed a few guys i strat shainking on RTB or disengagement hehehe

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2000, 05:52:00 AM »
I used to get that way in the BETA; hands would sweat, natural nitrous oxide kicked in, and there I am... I bounced one guy early on at 8k or so and I felt nothing....about 10 seconds after he hit it all hit; ME!! I got my first taste of it last year when I bought the Rainbow Six game. Man, I was nervous every time I fired up that game. Still get that way when I play it too. Online sims used to do it, but not anymore; not because I'm used to getting in that kinda situation, but because I can't afford to pay HTC off!!

Flakbait

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2000, 03:33:00 PM »
This is so called "novice fewer" and it is was there for WWII pilots. Actually till you will calm you down and be VERY patient is it hard to get a good sortie. From the other hand I miss the fewer, really. Now when I shot down anyone I hardly feel anything, but first days every killed plane was so GREAT fun.   I still remember my first kill, I got guy while he tried to land from 1.1k, that was a dweebish kill possible (and mighty spit hispanos those time), but I was SO happy  

Fariz
XII Legion.

Offline terracota

• Zinc Member
      • http://members.fortunecity.com/terracota
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2000, 10:26:00 AM »
I dont want that my nervous just go  , I just want to control it need to learn and just the experience fix that but I never want to feel nothing when I shotdown other guy so whats the point ? or if I het shoted I get angry

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2000, 10:35:00 AM »
True, terracota.  Though I get nervous a lot still I've learned to put it somewhere in my head where it doesn't affect me anymore.
ingame: Raz

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2000, 10:43:00 AM »
Terracota,

That's why I stopped hunting deer    The fealing will dull with time.  Once you get realy good at your craft it will probobly go away in the main arena.  The only time I get "buck fever" anymore is in the dueling ladder, especialy before the first merge of the first fight, and in 1 life to live senario's.  

I've had fights in senario's and in 1v1 or 2v2 duels that literaly left me not able to control my plane because I was shaking too bad.  I had a fight like this in WB 1.11 about 3 yrs ago w/ Vila and Worr in their 38's vs. my 109f.  The fight lasted about 15 min or so until Worr and I collided after that 15 min fight that started at 11k and ended at 25k.  I had to log out after that flight, I couldn't even type i was shaking so bad    thnx Vila and Worr  (btw that was the day I "became a man" in WB)

Udie

Offline Dnil

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2000, 10:52:00 AM »
hehe con '98 udie, man u were all shaking, was funny to watch.  I really only get this way in Scenarios since I dont duel anymore.  Got a good 3 kill flight in yesterdays scenario but no buck fever, hmm.

------------------
Dnil
JG-2
Part time aircraft restorer. www.kingwoodcable.com/jheuer

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2000, 11:08:00 AM »
hehe Dnil. I wasn't shaking as bad as mr happy on that buff run.

Udie " Stay with me and you'll get some kills, but what ever you do, DON"T TURN ON THE BUFFS 6"

30 seconds go by as well as the merge...........

Mr.Hppy (as his keyboard goes flying into his monitor) " !@#U!@#!@# I can't believe that buff shot me off his 6 so fast!"

hehe I'll never forget that one, I ended up w/ 3 dead b17's to my credit hehe hppy died 15 seconds into the fight.

Udie

Offline Dnil

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2000, 11:29:00 AM »
hehe try playing counterstrike with him.  He has some real tough computer gear.  I didnt think a mouse could fly that far.  AAAHHH soon hppy will be home and AH will be alive again.

------------------
Dnil
JG-2
Part time aircraft restorer. www.kingwoodcable.com/jheuer

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2000, 01:40:00 PM »
Wow, this brings back some memories. I don't get buck fever too much anymore, but way back in Warbirds 1.0x, I was in Udie's 9th AF flight of P-38J's in the scenario "Festung Deutschland". Was my first big scenario, and I was shaking like a leaf throughout the whole nine frames(Btw, I survived every frame. Was very proud of that fact).

In one frame, we were bounced by 109K's, and I took a hit in my port engine that knocked it out, and I also picked up a fuel leak. I dove for home, evading my original attacker and made a successful dead-stick landing at base.

I'm telling ya, there's nothing for excitement like a large, one-life scenario.

[This message has been edited by banana (edited 07-10-2000).]