Author Topic: Oh for pity's sake...  (Read 660 times)

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Oh for pity's sake...
« on: March 23, 2002, 08:35:42 AM »

Made a beautiful avi from one of those classic furballs filmed at our new CT. Beautiful, just beautiful... Then I check the file size.. 131 MB.. ut oh.. something's wrong.. I forgot to compress it!!! arrrrggggh!!! :(

Seeing the film again, I know I'll never get it this good if I try encode it again. The angles were perfect, almost no 'ugly' camera positioning.. dynamic and astounding..

Ah the pain of it.. :mad:

Offline Doberman

• Copper Member
Oh for pity's sake...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2002, 03:44:47 PM »
VirtualDub (which is free) will let you compress it to another format.  Most editing programs will do the same.  Just load your finished film, change the compression option, and save it.  I'd use a differnt name until you're sure you're happy with the results.

I'd imagine that at 131MB, it probably IS compressed.  Any decent sized uncompressed AVI will be up in the Gigabyte range.  

What did you use to "save to AVI" in the first place?  All of the codecs (other than "uncompressed") do some form of compression.

D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2002, 03:47:14 PM by Doberman »

Offline Obear1971

• Copper Member
Oh for pity's sake...
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2002, 09:10:41 AM »
wow 131 MB gee whizz, hope i can get mine lower than that when i get it done.

You should be able to get a decent quality film of about 2-3 mins at about 2-3mb.

WWiionline web site has many avi in game films all at about 1-4 MB in size, they are clear, smooth, and have sound, so we must be able to get the same results, just need to find the right compresion software.

Offline mason22

• Gold Member
Oh for pity's sake...
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2002, 09:46:24 AM »
aren't they using the Bink player?

Offline bowser

• Copper Member
Oh for pity's sake...
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2002, 07:13:42 PM »
Found Real Producer converts/compresses avi the best so far.

bowser

Offline 2Late4U

• Copper Member
Oh for pity's sake...
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2002, 09:06:06 AM »
Originally posted by bowser
Found Real Producer converts/compresses avi the best so far.

bowser

REAL sucks, it attempts to take over your system, most power users refuse to install any form of real anything, its just not worth it.  DO NOT USE ANYTHING FROM REAL NETWORKS!  

Rather encode with a divx codec

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Oh for pity's sake...
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2002, 08:39:17 PM »
I know what you mean 2L :)

Geez, the checklists popping up for the upgrades that the program thinks I need.. can you believe that?? The bossy slobs..

But alas, still can't find a better quality-compression rate software than RM :(

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Oh for pity's sake...
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2002, 09:31:45 PM »
I never liked the real products either. However, Real Producer does a very good job at compressing video. Take a look at the comparisons thread I did. Blow 'em all up to full screen, ctrl 3 for Real Player. The rm file has the least compression artifacts.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.