Author Topic: WARNING Your Online Name Could be the Death of you!!!  (Read 163 times)

Offline Obear1971

• Copper Member
WARNING Your Online Name Could be the Death of you!!!
« on: April 12, 2002, 09:37:35 AM »
Hello Chaps

This is by no means a moan, personally you can call yourself what the hell you like, it dosent bother me but......

This is somthing that i have been acutely aware of for a while but even more so since AH voice came online.

The Check 6 feature works well for the most part, but in hectic situations or in just plain crowded areas of the map it is not always possible to use the Check 6 to a decent degree of success.

IE Trying to check 6 somone in the middle of a mass of other freindlys ushally ends up wiht 3 or 4 trys befroe you hit the right guy.

Or, You are in the middel of a dogfight and just saw from he corner of your eye as your banking a freindly about to get pounced on.

This is were a quick left handed type of   "Joe 6" dose the trick
Or useing the AH voice, easy.

Also other warning of possible 6's such as a con high above a freindly would promt me to use chat or AH voice to warn him of the possible impending danger (somthing you wouldnt use check 6 for)

This all is fine but some guys have some really werid names or should i say, Imeadiatly unreconisable names.

EG see a guy with the name  ' 1971JOE ' or even  <+++===JOE++<<>>   imeaditaly you pick out the name JOE, sufficent to warn him by just useing the name JOE and he understands its him you are speaking too.

But sothing like E11ITE (Ellite) is not always so reconisable to make a quick call, hench you are not always going to get that 6 call in time.

I have often seen some poor Friendly getting pounced on when i cant use the 6 call and havent worked out what the hell his name is supposed to be before before he getts killed.

9999BLOATER"£"£"£    We see Bloater immediatly

33UR1E77    We often see nothing but jumbled letters.

Looking at both of the above quckly for just a second whcih one could you remeber to make a call or type the name?

Somthing worth thinking about when choosing a name dont you think?

Like i said none of my bussness what you call yourself, but if you make it more Immediatly reconisable to everyone, chances of a qucik 6 call or early warning is more likely.

Thast gotta make sence

This is kinda funny to say since my first idea of a on screen name was......  Plonkerdillyrectasaurus.

Even so you could just call me plonker :)  lol

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2002, 09:42:33 AM »
As you have pointed out, there are some negative ramifications to being a L33t pHreaK.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2002, 09:59:44 AM »
Originally posted by Mickey1992
As you have pointed out, there are some negative ramifications to being a L33t pHreaK.

Or worse, 7768923 as a handle. How do you address that name via voice during a fight?

With the addition of AH Voice, user names suddenly become important. They need be easy to read and pronounce. Otherwise, you may never get any radio help.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Rob Cashman

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2002, 10:08:02 AM »
"Or worse, 7768923 as a handle. How do you address that name via voice during a fight? "

Usually with a simple, "Check Six NUMBerNUTS."

Otherwise letter "poepl" are addressed with "Check Six Alphabetsoup."

;)

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2002, 10:11:34 AM »
to save typing time getting those damn numbers typed out I just call em 'numbers' and if they dont recognise im talking to them its their tough titty ;)

youre absolutely right here though and although when i chose my name i didnt consider this im lucky in that my name can be abrieviated and I still catch on its me they mean.

'H' 'haz' 'haze' all work which is why when you see similar names online you get caught out by people speaking to others.

some really good names for warnng are ones where all the letters are close on the keyboard:

'edde' is super quick
'fester' can be typed pretty quick too
'gazza' same sort of thing
'saw' also dead easy in a panic.

all ones where you can type one handed quickly.saves time and means you get the warnings quicker.

nice post :D

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2002, 10:15:54 AM »
Maybe you could just say "dude, you're #$%$#ed!" and hope the right guy looks behind him :)

-Sikboy

PS: No, I don't condone profanity over area vioce, just making a joke here.
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2002, 10:16:07 AM »
"SW"

Only need 1 finger to type it out.
:)
-SW

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2002, 10:23:03 AM »
I usually abbreiviate.. abbreeeviate... shorten those handles, as I do most, to the first 2 or 3 characters of their handle. If they get it it's good, if not they die, their problem. At least I know I tried.

Those ab... 'shortening' of handles can cause a problem tho.
Like when I try and give HiTech a salute... it comes out:
HiT  and I got muted for it LoL. I guess I have to put my after HiT's shortened handle.
Live and learn I guess.

fuzeman

{ I was fuze in AW and the 'fuze_' that flew there somehow got 'fuze' before I did :mad:  I'm registerd here as 'fuze' and was wondering if I could get it back. I didn't try and just stuck with fuzeman. Usually us XXXmen respond to the 'man' less version, I know I do. } That does get conFUZEing at thimes though!!!
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline pimpjoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2002, 04:45:52 PM »
PJ

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2002, 06:32:32 PM »
Good thread,
Unfortunatly, I doubt that any number-guys will read it.  Too late.
Perhaps HTC could add a sentence in the sign-up part about choosing a memorable name...

Another good thing about simple names is it's easier to give a guy an after a fight (or if you want to chat with him about it after).  It kind of defeats the when you insult him by jumbling his name.

eskimo: dicsukr
eskimo: er.. diesukr?

35k1m0

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2002, 06:58:47 PM »
Yep, one of our guys shot down a buff last nite after he chewed through 4-5 fighters coming at him from all angles.

I asked Beemer the B17 pilots handle so we could give him a Salute.

Response from Beemer, I don't know, some guy with a bunch of numbers.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2002, 07:30:06 PM »
Maybe we should do something similar to what they did in AFP [American Fighter Pilot] on tv...just call them Boner1, 2 or 3
:D

fuzeman
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Obear1971

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2002, 11:10:18 AM »
Lol also some peopel choose a really funny name wich is a hoot untill you have to speak to them in AH Voice.

"Hey Ploppypantz, you got a 109 high on ya 6"

Somtimes i think, sod it, wiht a name liek that he can die  lol :)

Offline Beegerite

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2002, 11:18:13 AM »
Ain't that a sonnasqueak, they cancelled it?  Now we'll never know if "two-tone Giggy" ever managed to stop his speeding F-15 before the end of the runway.  

Regarding the use of AH voice on the range chanel, there's another good thread called "AH Voice Question", check it out.

Beeg

Originally posted by fuze
Maybe we should do something similar to what they did in AFP [American Fighter Pilot] on tv...just call them Boner1, 2 or 3
:D

fuzeman