Author Topic: Boring FW's....  (Read 448 times)

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Boring FW's....
« on: April 17, 2002, 02:13:43 PM »
Ok I have been flyin a5 almost exclusively in the CT, most of my kills 1 v 1 have been ropes.

When I merge I usually do so at 300mph+.  Against a coalt spit, if its obvious the e difference between us isn't that great (say 50mph) and he pulls up at the merge....

What do I do?

With the small e difference I will find myself within guns range of the spit and lo e at the top of my zoom if i go up as well.

If I see the spit immelman, i just extend to say d2.5 before reversing.  If he continues to go up at the merge, I'll move on to the next con.

I get called boring for doing this...  I am not sure what to try ..

I've tried nose low turns, which after a couple of tries just leaves the spit with an energy margin which dictates i bug out...

Any rudder advice for the FW's?

SKurj

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Boring FW's....
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2002, 02:51:13 PM »
get a 109f with 50% fuel, gonds and d/t

you can t&b with 90% of the spits in there one on one - if you miss ur HO :)

if he kills you drop the gonds or grab an E, maybe go down to 25% fuel

watching others in the FW, the ones that live, seem to do the long boom and zoom, very shallow climb keepin E and all ... too long and boring for me :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline HFMudd

• Nickel Member
Boring FW's....
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2002, 03:20:19 PM »
I get called boring for doing this... I am not sure what to try ..

You get called boring for doing this, but do you find it boring?  

If you don't, I'd say keep doing what you are doing.  It is a game afterall.

If you are not having fun, try taking 50% fuel and dropping the outer 20mm's on that A5.  I suck at ACM but have seen some others put on pretty impressive low and slow, down and dirty, turnfights with the A5.

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
Boring FW's....
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2002, 04:20:33 PM »
I've seen merges like that in similar situations (I don't fly 109s), and having flown Spits (the "V" mostly) in the MA I know better than to try something right away.  Maybe if someone shows me another way to defeat that then I'll learn it.  I think some people do know better ways, but I've never seen much about it.  

A couple nights ago in the CT I kept running into a trio of Spits about co-alt with me.  Sometimes there was a fellow axis nearby, sometimes they were all lower.  I went at them... one of them went straight up on the merge.  I just blew on by and watched the high one.  It Immelmanned and came down on me.  Fortunately I had not bothered to bleed my speed and a couple light jinks later I was out of gun range.  Boring sure, but if they want easy targets they're not going to get it.  

Given that the newbie to vet ratio in the CT tends to be lower, I'd be even more wary of trying to turn fight Spits in the A5, unless I'm not in the rtb mode.  

mauser

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Boring FW's....
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2002, 05:49:13 PM »
I don't load outer guns (a waste)

i've had at least 1 9 kill run flyin my way, so from the replies i'd say i'll do it myyyyy waaaaaAAAAyyyyyyyy

SKurj +)

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Boring FW's....
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2002, 06:58:54 PM »
The only thing you really need to avoid is giving the Spit V a good lead turn on a merge. Other than that, go ahead and immelman for a second merge at the top if he wants it. If you see he is ducking you and going for lead, hit the WEP and split- you'll be dead in another turn or two if you don't. Remember, you have 10 min of WEP, he has only 5, and when that is gone... ;)

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Boring FW's....
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2002, 07:22:55 PM »
heres what i do

Always I get higher and look to make your typical bnz attack .

Start my dive pointing my nose well behind the spit I dive below begin a pull out up and  underneath looking for a high side gun solution. 9 times out of 10 spit breaks right. at this point you can continue on a steady state climb  extending and resetting for the next pass. This is usefull when lots of nme are in the area because it gives you more time to observe.

You can continue at a level high speed extension. This is good when hi nme are ib to you.

Or what i do mostly is zoom climb watching the spit over my right shoulder then enter into a pitch back manuver, wing over hammer head what ever works for you. them make my second pass. On this pass I cheat a bit and kick right full rudder and  roll right. I do this because I expect the spit to break right again. When he does you have a good canopy shot.

Now the smart thing to do would be to zoom again and repeat a pitch back. You wanna keep the pressure up so the spit doesnt have time to recover.

I gave up on tryin to "rope" umm they can hang on their prop. I do like you I'll extend away level creating seperation then i'll zoom and do a lazy immelman or i'll start a wide spiral climb.

You a good pilot and have a better k/d in the a5 then I but I fly every a5 sortie as an attack sortie and get killed deacking attacking fields etc.

Eagler is right try out a 109f4 with 50 gas I killed 10 spit 5s in 1 sortie.

I never carry 2 x 20 in an a5 I burn aft fuel 1st. on 109s rarely do i take gondolas. But in the 109f4 I started carrying them again to increase snapshot lethality.