Author Topic: will flak code be changed in 1.07?  (Read 288 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
will flak code be changed in 1.07?
« on: April 17, 2001, 12:39:00 PM »
if not could you please reduce the range of the flak so that it will not be such a nusance to dogfighting fighters looking to furball.

perhaps raise the lower firing alt from 3k up to 10k and reduce the range of the flak so that it fires overhead where buffs will be when dropping 4k bombs on the cv.

after all we have manable flak guns. there is no need for ai to affect every aspect of gameplay within 10 miles of a carrier.  
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2001, 01:18:00 PM »
Yes also the priority of he Fleet ack is out of whack. You can have furballing enemy aircraft  getting hit by flack while the enemy bombers go above the flack carpet completely unopposed.

------------------
Glasses---I may have 4 eyes ,but you only have one wing.
Besser tot als rot

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2001, 01:23:00 PM »
I agree CV flak is almost 100% completly innefective vs hi-level bombers, all it does is harras and annoy enemy fighters flying above 3,000ft altitiude.

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2001, 03:45:00 AM »
Agreed. Its just too damned acurate at predicting where you will be considering the time it takes for a shell to travel 15,000 yrds and given the speed and agility of a fighter.

I avoid fighting near flaks because it just ruins the fun completely, so it really narrows down where i can fight. This is a pain when theres only 20-30 people online as is the case when im on normally. Sometimes i just log off.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2001, 04:29:00 AM »
Don't worry, I'm going somewhere with all this. Where exactly, I have no idea  

Figure this: a 5" round moves out of the barrel at 2,500 ft/sec. A twin mount has a max elevation rate of 15º per second, and a max traverse rate of 25º per second. So moving at max velocity, a single 5" round would take 2.1 seconds to fly 6,000 feet (2k). I don't know the ballistic coeffectient of a 5" AA shell, so I can't figure shell drag. I wanted to post a nice curve diagram of range/velocity but I can't find the info to make it. www.warships1.com  is where I got the mount data for the Mk 32 Mod 0 twin 5" gun. It's listed under 5"/38 Mk 12.

Back to velocity. Just as a guess say the shell slowed down to 2,100 ft/sec at 4k (12,000 feet). Here's what the flight time would be from 4k to a given distance. This isn't counting shell drag, so bare with me.

4k-6k: 2.8 sec
4k-8k: 5.7 sec
4k-10k: 8.5 sec
4k-12k: 11.4 sec

Now back to turret data. If Cit ran from the fleet ack and I flew in from exactly the opposite direction, the fleet ack would start tracking me 2 seconds after it stopped tracking him. I checked this time offline at various distances, and it seems to wait about 2 seconds before opening up. This means the turrets are traversing 90º per second; about 4 times faster than it actually could!! Proof it has to get fixed. Since the fleet ack will track anything after about 2 seconds, the elevation rate is also fudged. So this has to get fixed too. Add to this the fact that you rarely get tracked by less than half the guns. So the AI needs work in that respect. Assign an AI gun controler for each target using the ack code. If a new target appears, have one or two cease firing and engage the new target. Just like any drone AI, only for the guns.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta Six's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High
"With all due respect Chaplian, I don't think God wants to hear from me right now.
I'm gonna go out there and remove one of His creations from this universe.
And when I get back I'm gonna drink a bottle of Scotch like it was Chiggy von
Richthofen's blood and celebrate his death."
Col. McQueen, Space: Above and Beyond