Author Topic: Observation over 30 hours of flying..  (Read 170 times)

Offline poopster

• Silver Member
Observation over 30 hours of flying..
« on: May 22, 2002, 08:09:32 PM »
Just an observation. Keep in mind I'm a low timer.

Get up to altitude, head out into injun territory, see a lone dot co-alt and head for it. Sure enough, inbound con, going to rumble..

Merge....

And about 20% are in for a fight, the rest try a headon and the majority of time just keep on going...

The 20% that stay usually kick my bellybutton but hell, it's a fight :D

And they don't ALL win ;)

That's weird.

Don't have ANY problems stirring up a fight if I'm lower, or lower AND outnumbered. But give me a co-alt inbound, and I can't buy a fight..

Whasssup wit dat ???

Now I can buy a fight with a cherry picker, but when it gets to be a fight, it's time too leave ;)  Understand that, I pick cherrys too on occasion.

But co-alt, way out, no one around, get your speed up, get in there and let it hang. I LOVE THAT. Work it, get on the edge.....

Get your bellybutton handed to you or blow the fugger away. Have a 4 minute fight that is burned into your memory win or lose..

I have fights from 3 years ago burned in. GREAT FIGHTS..

No wanna play after the first merge...

Missin out on the best.

But I have no doubt the majority of guys on this board wouldn't be leaving after the first merge ;)

but it seems alot do.

Just an observation.

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2002, 08:15:08 PM »
way to go, seems like you are enjoying the game quite a bit

enjoy your newbie weeks, after that, you take everything thats good for granted, and either become a whiner, a cheerleader, or someone who dont care about anything and just wants to see hit sprites.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2002, 08:40:07 PM »
What plane are you flying in these merges?

Lots of guys won't turnfight 1v1 with a spit or nik at alt.

It's all the individual's particular judgement/confidence.

There are some guys that will engage you in a given situation no matter how good the plane you are flying happens to be and no matter how bad their plane happens to be.

Then there are other guys that at least need to think they have a chance.

Then there's the real exciting guys that won't engage 1v1 even when they have a clear advantage.  :)

Takes all kinds to make an arena I guess.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2002, 08:40:20 PM »
Just out of Curiosity, but what are you flying?

-Sikboy

[edit] Just read your other post, noticed a lot of E-fighters on your list, so I'm not sure why someone wouldn't turn with a Dora, Hog, or Pony. Then again, what do I know, I'm never alone lol.
Not sure what to make of this.

-Sikboy
« Last Edit: May 22, 2002, 08:42:40 PM by Sikboy »
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2002, 09:05:16 PM »
Most of them seem to have no idea what to do at the merge.  So I guess they just avoid post-merge maneuvering altogether.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2002, 09:12:45 PM »
It's downright odd, ain't it.  There you are, just you and your adversary, with no outside interference.  You come in head to head, maybe try to take off something during the merge, maybe not, whip it around and . . . damn, where tha hell is he going?!

I generally assume that at these moments the con look over only to realize in horror that their drink is empty, and they're simply running to get a refill.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2002, 09:23:34 PM »
I find that if a fighter keeps going, it means he is loaded with bombs and heading for your airfield or CV.  There is a lot of things you can do in the MA other than look for fair fights:)

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2002, 09:40:34 PM »
That's the fly to live personna you're encountering.  I find wobbling low like a wounded duck tends to lure them in.

Offline poopster

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2002, 09:56:31 PM »
I'll never be a "good" cherry picker because a "good" cherry picker never gets in a fight.

Anything that resembles in any way a fight is counter productive if your cherry picking. I can do it, but not for the long haul that's required. Add to that I'm a chitty shot, always have been, always will be and there ya go..

But camping out below a cherry picker ?? That is fun. A win, is him moving along. A kill means he has to work on his cherry picking ;) Getting killed means he's a good cherry picker :)

But exiting an all alone co-alt one on one is something I haven't seen alot from my other life.

I fly E fighters mostly. One on one with a turner or an E fighter is a whole lot of fun. It's why I fly. LET'S GO !!

There are some guys that will engage you in a given situation no matter how good the plane you are flying happens to be and no matter how bad their plane happens to be

Straight up co-alt. I come from that school. Win or lose. A good plane is really making the other guy fly in your world. And when he does, he needs the plane that will fly there. And if doesn't have that plane, he in a heap of trouble regardless whether it be a turn or E fighter.

It's who's world you fly in, and that changes with the fight..

Good stuff.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2002, 09:57:45 PM »
nopoop the thrill in the fair fight dosnt last.

its the outnumbered and still kill everything or the vulch and get 50 kills ones I prefer
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline MuadDib of Dune

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2002, 10:04:20 PM »
If Im up at 20k+ and find a lone co alt con I usually put my nose on em and get close enough to find out what he is.  After that, what I do depends on many things first of which is the time I have burned getting up to 20k and what did I want to do up there to begin with.  Mostly Im headed into indian country to find a gaggle of furbies down low to rape and pillage so I do tend to just blow through em.  But alls fair in love and war.  I almost always find a fella just like me thats higher than I am.

Play it by "gut feel" and have fun.

Offline poopster

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2002, 10:07:46 PM »
its the outnumbered and still kill everything

I'm workin on that.......

Ah..

haven't...really

No

but....sometimes I CAN GET A COUPLE :D

and sometimes I can rip through kill a few and run....

Makes my seat pucker..

;)

I REEALLY am a dweeb :)

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2002, 11:03:43 PM »
hmm coalt con... 1 v 1 no other dots around....  where can i find one?

coalt not so tuff to find... depending on what he is in... I'll watch at the merge if he flinches i'll turn.  If its a spit or nik or some tnb'er I'll try a zoom at merge payin close attention to his e.  I might make a pass or two and reevaluate.  Usually its time to extend with my skillz...

seems like u will find the odd e fighter will turn, but rare... especially if you are over 15k...
the efighter that turns usually is hidin some e tho.

keep yer eyes open man..

its them 7k extendinthenrev dweebs that are annoyin +)

SKurj

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2002, 08:26:35 AM »
poopie... that's why i love the big furs.  It also helps if you fly a -1a..  Most people don't expect you to dogfight down low with one and will underestimate your plane or at least be agressive.... Cherry pickers are spoilers... a lot of time I will drag one down for squaddies to kill but it is best to just ignore em.   Too much work for too little fight..   If you fight a plane that is percieved to be a dogfighter then people will be wary of you... It is best to fly a plane that is mediocre.   The F6F was underestimated in here for a long time as was the 205..  Now, people respect them more.   I doubt that the -1a will ever become very popular but the -1d is and...

I took up a -4 the other night and hunted down pee 51's with it... you know one of those 51 squads that use the ""looping fight, everyone cover everyones exit and don't let yur plane get below 300mph and we will either get the bounce kill or the guy following teammate out kill" tactic.   A -4 really throws a monkey wrench ito that machine.  still.... it wasn't all that exciting.... just different.
lazs