Author Topic: Dora Question....firing way low?  (Read 267 times)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Dora Question....firing way low?
« on: March 15, 2001, 10:01:00 AM »
I've enjoyed the 190D9 a lot.  Question I can't seem to figure out....whenever i am firing the guns/cannons, the shells are dropping WAY low...its getting to the point that I seem to have to fire nose hi to score hits on a target.  I haven't saved/modified or changed my head position at all.  I've PageUp'd and PageDown'd it a bit to get the crosshairs a bit more in the green, but still the same problem.

What am I doing wrong?

------------------
Paul J. Busiere

Aces High Arena handle:  BD5Pilot
 http://bd5.checksix.net
BD-5 "T" (TurboProp) 90% complete, first flight in 2001 (We hope!)

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2001, 10:04:00 AM »
German cannon trajectory. Not as good as most others. Gotta get in very close.  

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2001, 10:07:00 AM »
Perhaps...Ill grab a screenshot tonight (or maybe at lunch) to better illustrate the problem I am trying to describe.

At least I can see hits through the cockpit graphic  

------------------
Paul J. Busiere

Aces High Arena handle:  BD5Pilot
 http://bd5.checksix.net
BD-5 "T" (TurboProp) 90% complete, first flight in 2001 (We hope!)

Offline Graywolf

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.flibble.org/~tim
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2001, 10:12:00 AM »

You might also want to check/change your convergence

Bullet trajectory is also influenced by your convergence. The spread of bullets should pass through the crosshairs at convergence.
ie. it affects the vertical as well as the hoirzontal aiming of the guns.

This can make a big difference to the flighpath of low velocity rounds.

------------------
Graywolfe <tim@flibble.org>

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2001, 10:43:00 AM »
I feel something funny about this as well (See Supongo's post on the 109-G10). Took me all my Ammo to hit a fr****in' Yak I was chasing at 200yda for 5 good minutes...

I finaly got him with my last 60 mg bullits...

of course, Poor marksmanship is my speciality, but...

------------------
MASS/SAW

click  HERE for info on III./JG 5 Eismeer

When I was younger I hated going to weddings.
It seemed that all of my aunts and the grandmotherly types used to  come up to me, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next."
They stopped that stuff after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 03-15-2001).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Pepe

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2001, 10:51:00 AM »
I concur with this issue. Seems my gunnery s*cks even worse than usual.

Anyway, I think all relates to the same issue. Practice. We'll get used to whatever the model is at each time, and get over it.

Cheers,

Pepe

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2001, 11:48:00 AM »
I've posted about this on our squad BBS about 3 times now. Was sure it was just me. I've had to unload everything on planes at point blank range to get a hit. I've never been the best shot, but it seems to be unusally poor even for me.

TheWobble

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2001, 12:10:00 PM »
I notice this too, suddenly any kind of deflection at more than 300 is VERY hard to get a hit..i used to do very will with German iron.  I can still however hit planes very easy with 50 cals....

Offline MiG Eater

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.avphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2001, 01:26:00 PM »
Consider that the D9's long nose, low pilot height and low muzzle velocity cannon coupled with a high angle-off firing solution make the shells seem to drop rapidly out of your view.  I've made allowances by lowering the G's on my airplane before firing.

MiG

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2001, 01:32:00 PM »
A trick I use is to practice offline at least once a day. Start out just getting behind the drones and firing from dead 6. Once you build up some speed start trying more erratic maneuvers while shooting. Anytime you shoot down a drone, look for one that warped or that's smoking. Just play a game of sorts with the drones; if they didn't die "cleanly" just say something like "You hairy little fragger!" and go after 'em. What I mean by "cleanly" is the drones will warp sometimes after you open up. One time they'll blow sky high, others they just warp and leave a huge smoke trail. Now that you've got shooting at friendly and dumb drones all set, switch countries. Fly out and shoot down some drones that use the normal enemy vanishing icon. In just about any aircraft I can hit those enemy drones at 300+ yards using a high-angle deflection shot.

Naturally you can't start doing that overnight, but it's good practice. As for the gunnery problem, I had it too. Turns out the gun shake was making my brain think I was aiming high. So naturally you aim low instead. That's a good thing, believe it or not. If you shoot low the enemy plane (in the ma) won't see the tracers. His nose will get in the way of him seeing any tracers so you get off scott free. Anyway I got over the shooting low problem by simply putting the gunsight higher up on the target. I still shoot a tad low, but not as bad as I was.

Another trick, if you need marksmanship practice go blast a few friendly acks. Best cure I know for an accuracy problem.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta 6's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High
"With all due respect Chaplian, I don't think God wants to hear from me right now.
I'm gonna go out there and remove one of His creations from this universe.
And when I get back I'm gonna drink a bottle of Scotch like it was Chiggy von
Richthofen's blood and celebrate his death."
Col. McQueen, Space: Above and Beyond

Offline Servo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2001, 01:51:00 PM »
Also, it depends on your speed. If you're blazing in on a con, the shots are going to seem to fall WAY short. Remember to aim higher when you're at a high speed -- depending on the speed, MUCH higher.

Servo

Offline wulfie

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.twinkies.com/index.asp
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2001, 01:57:00 PM »
Low muzzle velocity?

I don't think so.

Most shells for the MG 151/20 have a MV of ~705 meters/second.

Some of the AP based ones are in the high 700s.

I think it's one of two things:

1. Some 'quirk' in your aiming technique. I've had a tough time with this myself.

2. If, for some reason, all the shells being fired by the MG 151/20 are 'mine' shells - these shells do not have good ballistic characteristics. You guys will have to ask PYRO about this. AP, API, APHE have far superior characteristics and were the most common GP round for the MG 151/20. *If* they are not modeled, then ask that they be included!

Mike (wulfie/desslok)

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2001, 02:51:00 PM »
Those are all very good suggestions, but my gunnery is fine. I can hop into any other plane and hit well. The Dora just seems to have a quirk. I'm not talking deflection shots, I mean dead 6, con filling up my windscreen shots. Pipper right on, rounds just seem to disappear. Off to do some testing.

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2001, 03:51:00 PM »
I tested the Dora guns, and something is indeed wrong with them. Results are in the Aircraft/Vehicle forum at:
 http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/Smileys/default/Forum9/HTML/001822.html

------------------
Raubvogel
LuftJägerKorps

[This message has been edited by Raubvogel (edited 03-15-2001).]

TheWobble

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2001, 04:07:00 PM »
DAMN