Author Topic: Loss of outer wing  (Read 1398 times)

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Loss of outer wing
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2000, 11:15:00 PM »
I have gotten a couple one wing kills.
Today I landed a F4U with one wing, then later I landed a Nik with both wings missing. (pulled too hard out of a dive)  
Flew that Nik all the way back to my home field, did a pass down the runway too fast to land, aborted, flew out, came around and landed right on the runway, both wings missing out past the guns. I was amused.
Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Loss of outer wing
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2000, 04:32:00 PM »
I wonder if the reason we don't see jagged edges or wires etc., sticking out of a broken wing, has to do with the way the 3-d objects are created.  I thought that the planes in this game are 3-d objects with a texture map.  Perhaps the easiest way to show damage is with a "damage" texture map applied to the wing when damage occurs.
My guess is the current way of doing it, is to completely remove the wing object itself.

bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline Aussie

• Zinc Member
Loss of outer wing
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2000, 07:29:00 PM »
Ok, so the visual damage is more than the actual damage. That explains why I was able to fly without any apparent ailerons. The damaged right wing probably still had some aileron left, but the damage display didnt show it.

Make sense

------------------
aussie
Phoenix Squadron
-----
Any ship can be a minesweeper... once.