Author Topic: You have to read this!!! (2nd post)  (Read 165 times)

Offline Black Sheep

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/empire21productions
You have to read this!!! (2nd post)
« on: May 29, 2002, 12:32:59 AM »
posted earlier on aircraft forum - my bad - but just in case

Here is the best idea I've heard in a long time concerning gameplay and strat - Quote is from Naudet

Each country has a resources pool (for fuel, ammo, troops, planes etc.) and the factories add there production to that pool.
Each used plane, vehicle etc. drains from that pool.

The production of a country - all factories intact - would support around 175-200 players in constant action.
If more players are fighting for that country resources go down faster and it might come to some shortcomings. This would prevent to overwhelming numbers, cause when a country would suddenly bring 300 players, after a while they would have some shortages in fuel etc.

Now if factories are hit, the supply would go down. when the resources are lowering there would 1st be a limitation (i.e. 75% fuel and so on) and if this goes on for some thime the limitations are stricter.

The attacker could also increase those shortages bye attacking the "reserves" which would be ammo, fuel bunkers, barracks and hangars etc.

That would really increase the importance of raids against factories, cause they would have an impact on the supply of a whole country and not only on the rebuild times of objects.

Than a second aspect to the land graping would come into play, the need to destroy the resources of the country you want to overwhelm.

This would be a nice addition in a later version - I think so anyways

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2002, 12:40:25 AM »
strat works this way to an extent already... i don't like however the "each use of a plane or vehicle drains that resource base" - can you imagine how this could be totally gamed?  not to mention some people don't care if they rtb or not...

think about that... if something can be "gamed"  it *will* be gamed by some lamers...
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Black Sheep

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2002, 12:51:56 AM »
yes i realize that point - but there should be a way to exploit these tactics or just try it in another arena -

the point is the idea itself -

i can hear all the pessimistic posts coming shane

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2002, 01:45:37 AM »
Whats going to happen when a team has 6 bases left, but noone can up in fighters?

F.

Offline MadBirdCZ

• Nickel Member
      • http://home.worldonline.cz/~cz088436/
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2002, 02:22:28 AM »
Originally posted by Furious
Whats going to happen when a team has 6 bases left, but noone can up in fighters?

F.

umm.... Lend And Lease treaty?  :)

Offline FDutchmn

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2002, 02:47:51 AM »
Blacksheep,

Thanks for the plug ;)  Damn, ya seem to like Naudet's idea more than mine. :D  Please don't forget mine... :rolleyes:

A summary of the idea that I had...

What came to my mind is this:
A. Set a time limit for a map reset (let's say 72 hours)
B. A map came be reset within the time limit like we do now by eliminating one side to one base. The side with more bases wins the reset like we do now.
C. When the time comes, the winning side will be determined by the number of perk points awarded per hour of player play.
D. Award bonus perk points for completely destroying strat targets like facilities and HQ. (let's say 10 perks)
E. As an option, the scoring system can be modified like the current ranking system for Pilot ranks and Squad ranks, where the average of the ranks for the categories for Fighter, Attack, Bomber, and Vehicle/Boat Ranks will determine the overall rank. In case of a tie (which will happen...), the raw scores of the perk points per hour will be considered. (I didn't want to say the number of bases as this will be the same as now).   A scoreboard as follows will clarify this point:
          Fighter     Attack      Bomber    Vehicle/Boat  Overall Rank
Bishops   xxx.xx (1)  aaa.aa (3)  xxx.xx (2)  xxx.xx (2)       (2)
Knights   yyy.yy (2)  bbb.bb (2)  xxx.xx (1)  xxx.xx (3)       (1)
Rooks     zzz.zz (3)  ccc.cc (1)  xxx.xx (3)  xxx.xx (1)       (3)

I suggested this to address the following issues:
1. its a constant land grab because winning the reset is the objective
2. side with more players wins the reset
3. its not too rewarding to take out facilities like factories or even HQs because it can be resupplied

For details of the reasoning for this please refer to the following thread: Suffering from the BigPac Burnout Syndrome

And its a long rant sooo, be patient when you read it! :D

As for Naudet's suggestion, I find it very interesting, but of course I have concerns for two points:

1. Assessing the cut off point where this resource is depleted that affects the supplies.  Naudet suggests (ad hoc of course) 200 players.  Is this number adequate?  If the capacity of the server goes up, this must be re-visited again.

2. The way this is setup, it penalizes a team for something they can't really control.  I would hate it to see players argue like "hey, you are depleting the resource, get out!" and "Noooo, I was here first, you get out!".  Assement of 1. will affect this definitely, and having the numbers too strict will enhance this situation, having it too lax will defeat the purpose of this whole thing.

For the second part of his suggestion about attacking the strat facilities, I like it.  Of course, having one factory for the entire country will be too devastating.  So I would suggest two modifications to this idea:

1. Have, let's say four oil refineries per country.

or

2. Have a zone control for the factory, let's say one oil refinery controls the supply to five of the bases around it.  There needs to be corresponding strat, like grunt training facility, radar factory, ammo factory and the like.  (I think something like this was already suggested to HTC and HTC has taken it up... which is coming?  Am I right?)

welp, that is what I have in mind right now... more to follow...

Offline Black Sheep

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2002, 04:54:58 PM »
FDutch -

No man I really liked yours too - it was real late - and you had posted ALOT of ideas - but when i came to that one - all nice and summarized-like - It clicked - but I'm really up for an overhaul to the slighty abused MA strat-   :) :) :)

Offline MugZ

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2002, 05:48:12 PM »
think about that... if something can be "gamed" it *will* be gamed by some lamers...

Takes one to know one Shane.  LOL

Offline Black Sheep

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2002, 06:21:29 PM »
yeah only the lamers would know that tactic? :)

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2002, 06:36:02 PM »
why should i read this? +)

did u click the link in my sig +)

what makes your idea more important than everyone else's +)

oh btw enjoy readin mine...  get comfy

SKurj

the above is my lame way of saying we have had a ton of suggestions for these things, i guess the title threw me off abit +)  HT will pick and choose the changes he think are best.  Don't let me dissuade anyone from making more suggestions +)

« Last Edit: May 30, 2002, 11:51:18 PM by SKurj »

Offline FDutchmn

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2002, 09:37:00 PM »

post edit... delete...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2002, 10:02:51 PM by FDutchmn »