Author Topic: A little tidbit about 1.08  (Read 848 times)

Offline Eaglecz

• Nickel Member
A little tidbit about 1.08
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2001, 06:40:00 AM »
it seems that we have another UMO behind N1k UFO :)

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2001, 06:58:00 AM »

Those are all steam engines.
-SW

Offline Sky Viper

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.no54squad.com
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2001, 01:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Fidd:
No they don't, beleive me. Most of the "smoke" from a moving steam-train is in fact steam, and should be a light grey colour. I've travelled on real steam trains many times at the Bluebell Railway here in the UK (a private steam-railway) as I used to live very close to it. This black "smoke" looks all wrong to me.

Fidd

LOL Fidd...you ever burn a hunk of coal?  Say in a Bar-B-Q?  Coal smoke is black!  Black as night!
I had my first ride on a Coal Burning Steam train in 1979 in Canada.  That SOB turned everything on the front 2 cars black with soot!
Now that thing you rode in the UK is probably a modernized low polution gas burner. Very few places on this planet still alow someone to burn coal as the Steam Engines of the 1940's did.
Oh, when they didn't burn coal, it was whatever wood they could find (War area trains especialy), and this would be dark grey, but hardly white like the steam.
Now, as for the steam...you might see white steam as well but only if there is too much steam for the pistons to use and had to be vented to keep pressure from reaching dangerous levels, or if they were trying to stop and wanted to dump all the pressure.

Personally, all of this is muted by the fact that we now have a beautiful new eddition to the AH family of vehicles.

Sure would like to see some game play ideas on this issue in stead of "Track size" and "Smoke Color" gripes.

Would be cool if we could rebuild HQ's faster by getting a train in safe, or Add 10 perkies to every player of the country who has a train make it to it's destination.
Maybe even a 2-3 train system that can be routed by players (such as the cv can) along different track destinations: HQ, City, Ammo, Training.  That would be nice!

Viper

Offline iculus

• Copper Member
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2001, 07:52:00 AM »
Look... this train is only going to add to the already problematic emissions of greenhouse gasses in the MA.  

You'll note that in beta, the skies of the MA were clear to the horizon.  Shortly after, the horizon began to show the warning signs of our burning of fossil fuels.  As this trend continued, there was a marked increase in cloud cover.  It all points to the deteriorating atmospheric conditions in the MA. I can not support this train thing.  Not one bit.

Sorry... been reading to much...  :)
Thanks HTC

Salute!
IC

p.s.  Could we add smoke to the chimneys at factories and cities?  It would help them look "alive".  :)

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2001, 08:38:00 AM »
"Smoke" on a steam train is mainly steam...any way you cut it.

Now, that steam can be very heavily influenced by fireing, load and fuel type, but it's stil mostly steam; to the point that GWR terminology for what you and I probably call the smoke stack is the steam exhaust.

Fuel is probably the strongest influence - in England most trains were run on low sulpher welsh coal, Germany used oil bearing shale, and who knows what the French used?

Here's a link to a picture of one of Englands most famous trains trailing a lovely white cloud behind it: http://www.flyingscotsman.com/gallery/img/history/his_15s.jpg

Yankees are bound to be confused...a lot of thier imagery is of Western (cowboy) trains...these were sometimes wood fired and subsequently had those enormous spark arresters fitted and I'd imagine they were burning bullchips a good deal of the time, the smell certainly lingers....   :)