Author Topic: DvD collection.. latest additions  (Read 252 times)

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
DvD collection.. latest additions
« on: July 21, 2002, 04:45:57 PM »
Added these to the collection last month:

Real Genius
Léon: The Professional
Jaws: Collector's Edition
John Carpenter's Vampires
Me, Myself, & Irene: Special Edition
Black Sheep
City of Lost Children, The: Special Edition
Better Off Dead
Amélie
La Femme Nikita
Royal Tenenbaums, The: Criterion Collection
Con Air
Shallow Hal
Striking Distance
AntiTrust: Special Edition

I've been waiting for Better Off Dead to come out for years.  I rank this as one of the best camp comedies of all time (top 10 for sure).  It also took some time to stumble across Real Genius in the local stores.

AKDejaVu

Offline Morgoth

• Copper Member
      • http://www.dogfighter.com
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2002, 05:39:32 PM »
Barbarians at the Gate, 1993  
Creature from the Black Lagoon, 1954  
100 Years of Horror, 1996  
Planet of the Apes, 2001  
American Psycho, 2000  
Enemy at the Gates, 2001  
Swordfish, 2001  
Meet Joe Black, 1998  
Silent Running, 1971  
Le Dernier Combat, 1983  
Nine Months, 1995  
Saving Grace, 2000  
Pearl Harbor, 2001  
Kiss Toledo Goodbye, 1999  
Snatch, 2000
Unbreakable, 2000
The Man Who Would Be King
Princess Mononoke

And I'd like to thank NetFlix and DVD2SVCD for letting me do it at a great price :D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2002, 11:12:45 AM by Morgoth »

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2002, 08:52:52 AM »
Blackhawk down
Rat Race.

and a bunch of stuff for my graddaughter that she is too young to watch.
lazs

Offline MrBill

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2002, 08:53:11 AM »
Totally lazy this week I cut only 40 episodes of the "One Step Beyond" series to DVD from tape.  No Movies. :(  Went and saw the Dragon flick with my wife, I thought Drago was cooler. :)

NetFlix is cool.
We do not stop playing because we grow old
We grow old because we stop playing

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2002, 09:40:53 AM »
Saw Reign of Fire too.  Great effects but totally campy otherwise.  Yeppers... its always a small group of people that are able to do what the combined military/civilian efforts of the world could not.

AKDejaVu

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2002, 09:55:37 AM »
hmm ... as an american what is you opinion of Amélie Poulain ?

For non-parisian french it sometime a bit hard to understand ... I cannot imagine what is the feeling of a non-french person ...

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2002, 10:31:55 AM »
Ah, Con Air, liked that one...favorite scene has to be the cop dropping the doughnut then giving chase.... LOL

I'm still hoping The Final Countdown will make it onto DVD sometime soon.  The movie where the USS Nimitz goes back in time to December 6th, 1941.  Watching F-14s splash Zero's is just awesome.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2002, 12:16:36 PM »
Originally posted by straffo
hmm ... as an american what is you opinion of Amélie Poulain ?

For non-parisian french it sometime a bit hard to understand ... I cannot imagine what is the feeling of a non-french person ...
I thought it was a very good movie.  The wife absolutely loved it.

Now I firmly believe that all Parisians are "touched".  Actually, its more of a confirmation than anything.

AKDejaVu

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2002, 02:51:44 PM »
Originally posted by AKDejaVu
Saw Reign of Fire too.  Great effects but totally campy otherwise.  Yeppers... its always a small group of people that are able to do what the combined military/civilian efforts of the world could not.

AKDejaVu

I enjoyed it. It was escapism sure and the plot had been done a thousand times but this time..it was in Europe...not LA or NYC. The acting seemed good to me and they conveyed intensity pretty well. I actualy "felt" something for the characters.

Then again perhaps I'm just easily entertained.

xBAT

P.S.  Me and the wife rented the Original  La Femme Nikita before it was copied for Hollywood. It was an awesome flick. If I rem correctly its dubbed in english? I just remembering being impressed.

There's anthor movie about an assassin who takes in a little girl (New Star Wars Princess?) and protects her... cant remember name but I'd recomand it if people are into that genre.

xBAT... again
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2002, 03:04:36 PM »
Originally posted by batdog
P.S.  Me and the wife rented the Original  La Femme Nikita before it was copied for Hollywood. It was an awesome flick. If I rem correctly its dubbed in english? I just remembering being impressed.
Was the U.S. version (with Bridget Fonda) called "La Femme Nikkita"?  I thought it was called something else.

This is the French version (subtitled).  It really is a good movie, though its not quite as good the second time.
There's anthor movie about an assassin who takes in a little girl (New Star Wars Princess?) and protects her... cant remember name but I'd recomand it if people are into that genre.
That's "The Professional".  The version I just bought is called "Leon: The Professional".  Its the same movie with about 25 extra minutes of footage that deals with the hitman/girl relationship a little more.  It really goes a long way to fill in some of the plot "gaps".  I would recommend it over the original version any day.

AKDejaVu

Offline MrBill

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2002, 04:07:19 PM »
Point of No Return 1993 was the "La Femme Nikita" remake.
Leon makes The Professional look like a whole different movie.
We do not stop playing because we grow old
We grow old because we stop playing

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2002, 06:18:44 PM »
AKDejaVu, not sure but MrBill seems to have it right about Nikita.
I just remember being blown away by it. I think it effected our film industry abit. It helped push the Hero Chick thingy along w/Zena...lol.

I'll have to purchase that version of the Professional. THAT is a good flick. The Europeans still use a story... and the action is used to reinforce the story. To many US film anymore are just extensions of WWF...

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2002, 01:22:13 AM »
Nikita and Léon are good films they prooved that it was possible for european to make film like the US way but with an European feeling.

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2002, 02:17:19 PM »
Ah, City of Lost Children is one of my favourite films! :)

I'll also have to get round to buying Real Genius!  I've always loved that film, very silly but cool 80s film! :)
NEXX